weight question...

Thread: weight question...

Defaultweight question...

Going through photos and making the video this morning made me realize that Samantha has packed on some pounds since we adopted her. I feel like a bad mom. We're really good about limiting treats and not giving people food, so I guess she's eating too much at meal time.

They're both on ProPlan SS&S, but I'm not really sure just how much she should be eating. (The eat 2x / day.)

Help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: weight question...

How old is she and how much food is she getting? also, how much exercise is she receiving on a daily basis?

You should feed according to the size, age and activity level.

My dogs, for example, are 2, 3, 5 and 6 years old, get 2 hours off leash every day and are fed 3 cups of food. I have two on Nutro and two on ProPlan. Never had weight issues with any of then.

Sammy is 9 1/2 and gets a little exercise every day - not much to speak of to be honest - and weighs ~85#. I've been feeding her about 2 1/2 cups a day.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well for starters she is an older dog and naturally her metabolism will have slowed with age. You can expect an older dog to carry a little extra weight. Although you don't say what you are feeding, personally I would drop the extra half cup (so 2 cups/day) and up the exercise a little. She is not going to need vigorous exercise but easy going daily walks will really help. Reduce her intake, up her activity and re-access her weight in 8 weeks.

She's on ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach. I'll try your advice - thank you!

She's on ProPlan Sensitive Skin & Stomach.
    Ah --sorry! I must have overlooked that in your first post. ProPlan is a good food.