Seperation Anxiety

Thread: Seperation Anxiety

DefaultSeperation Anxiety

Some friends of mine have just adopted an 11 month old Weimerine named Granite. The family that owned him before didn't do any training with him and used the crate only for punishment. When they leave him alone he freaks out. Over the weekend he busted out of the crate and made a mess of the house. My friends are very committed to helping Granite. Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Olie

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

luke from georgia is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Seperation Anxiety

what kind of crate?
    how long have they had him?

"Properly trained, a man can be dog's best friend." ~ Corey Ford

here is an article:
    http://www.wagntrain.com/SeparationAnx.htm

the bottom of the article has really good recommendations for books, too.

I'll be Home Soon -- by Patricia B McConnell
    is a very good little booklet about sep anx. i highly recommend it.

my luke used to have sep anxiety. we had to use the crate when leaving him alone. the stress of being alone would drive him to do things he would normally never even think about.

i found additional advise from others, a plastic airline type of crate is best for safety reasons. the one that has been highly recommended is the largest one used for the giant breeds like great danes.

the Vari-Kennel 700 has this type of door:

4 way locking door and it is really big and roomy.
    The locking mechanism makes it very sturdy and the pastic is thick because of its size.

back when luke had his problem i didn't know about the Vari-Kennel 700, so i had to use the wire crate. luke did have minor injuries, but he settled down. i think i got lucky. some dogs get so highly stressed that they injure themselves over and over again, trying to get out.

i did have a Vari-Kennel that was one size smaller than the Vari-Kennel 700, which does NOT have the 4 way locking. all the other Vari-Kennels have a 2 way locking. luke would pull on the door until the door popped off the 2 plastic hinges, and he was able to escape and destroy stuff during due to his stress, so i had to use the wire crate. if i had to do it all over again, i would not hesitate to buy the Vari-Kennel 700.

currently luke loves his wire crate, but he also gets lots of stuffed kongs and yummy treats in his crate when i have to leave the house. he has lots of positive associations with his crate now so he almost seems eager for me to leave so he can get his favorite treats.

i had also tried Dog D.A.P. Comfort Zone Plug-In and also the recue remedy solution. neither helped luke, but i have read that it works for some dogs.

i even made luke wear a tshirt of mine, to comfort him while i was gone. he wore that tshirt for 2 days, but on the third day, it was ripped to shreds. dogs will do that, chew up and shred things, especially things that have smells of comfort and scatter them all around them. didn't help his sep anx.

for luke, the only thing that worked was time and consistancy. he fell into a routine of going in his crate, getting fantastic goodies, nothing bad happending to him, and me coming home. it was at least 3 months before i noticed that he stopped stressing inside his crate. no more pools of drool or signs of struggle. he is still crated when left alone. it is his safe place.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the advice. They got him a metal crate thinking that if he could see out it might be better. Obviously it wasn't. They rescued him last Saturday. I hate the people that did this to Granite! You know the only reason they got him was because of his look and then they didn't do anything with him. My friends have rearranged their schedules so that one of them will be at home with him for the next two weeks, and I have told them I would come over when they couldn't be there.
    Olie

it will be a very stressful time for them. more so for the people than the dog, i think. luke was stressed out, too, but he would get over it as soon as i came home. i thought about his problem all the time. i am biased of course, but i think that dogs that suffer this problem and can overcome the sep anx go on to have really deep relationships with their people. back then, i felt so bad, i remember thinking several times that luke needed a different home where someone would be home more often than not. i cannot believe i even thought about giving up on him, because it was so worth it to stick with the desensitization training. luke is above and beyond the dog of my dreams.