Skinny pup? *sigh* (with pics)

Thread: Skinny pup? *sigh* (with pics)

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

DefaultSkinny pup? *sigh* (with pics)

I've written before about Thor not eating that much and how I thought he was skinny...I took him to the vet about a month ago, and he goes in at the end of this month to get snipped.* I took some pictures from above and from the side...he was kinda wiggly when I took them but hopefully someone can give me some insight.* Oh oops, got sidetracked...when I took him in to the vet, the vet said that he was at a healthy weight.* I'm not so sure.* Here are the pics:* Thanks in advance! He is almost 18 months and he eats ProPlan.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dare1969 Guest

DefaultRe: Skinny pup? *sigh* (with pics)

He is the same build as Sydney. I have her pictures posted on my post To Skinny?
    in Lab health and Nutrition.

He looks a lot like Lexus did when she was younger. He looks good to me. He is lean, but he doesn't look unhealthy or starved or anything. You cannot see his ribs. If the vet said he looks good then I don't think you have anything to worry about. Labs are naturally a highly active breed. Most puppies don't keep a lot of weight on them because they are so active. Lexus, at 4, is still very active and doesn't carry a lot of extra weight on her. As long as your puppy is eating, happy, and healthy, that is all that matters. Personally, I think he looks fine.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Mischa has the same build. I kept thinking she was skinny. Last week she was spayed and when I brought her to the vets for he weigh in the tech said the it was nice to see a normal weight lab and it would be better for her recovery. People are telling you he is normal, believe them, it is better for a lab to be on the thinner side than the fat side

Trickster is offline Senior Member

I think he looks absolutely fine. It is always refreshing to see a slim Labrador. He will be much healthier in the long run as a result of you keeping him lean.

He looks like Adama. Our vet said she was a healthy weight, so it might just be their build. ??

liveelayne is offline Senior Member

Thank you to everyone who responded. Guess I should stop worrying so much!

It may just be his build, but I would get him checked for worms if you haven't already or have not wormed him in a while.

He looks fine.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Those are better pictures from which to judge.

As I replied to you before, there are two broadly different "lines" of Labs -- those chunky, stocky Labs that are called "bench line" and leaner, rangier Labs called "field line."* And then there are mixtures between the two.

YOUR Lab obviously has a lot of the "field line" build in him, certainly far more field than bench.

I suspect your previous experience with Labs was with "bench line" stocky Labs.* Is that right?

The two lines have completely different builds and often different thicknesses of coats (bench line Labs typically have much thicker coats while some field line Labs -- like my Puff -- have thinner coats).* (Puff's coat is so thin that with light from certain directions, you can easily see her ribs.)

YOUR LAB IS NOT TOO THIN.

Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748