arthritis
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: arthritis

Defaultarthritis

I was just interested in knowing a bit about arthritis.* My male lab has just turned 5 years old this May.* I have been out of town for the past 6 months and Hank has been with my parents.* Since my arrival back in town and back with him I have noticed a change in his stamina.* He looks very healthy and still loves to play and please me.* But he has slowed down his step, no what I mean. I know that eventually with age they will slow down and not be so overly hyper all the time.* But thinking about his aging I began to think about arthritis. I have read that it is not at all uncommon for older dogs to experience arthritis issues especially in larger breeds and especially in labs because of their energy from their younger years.* I am going to bring my guy to the vet soon because he is showing some stiffness in one of his legs. Now it could be numerous different things wrong. But nevertheless, I am wanting some input on arthritis.* what are some early signs and how do you allow your lab to comfortable adjust. What treatments are there and meds that relieve the pain? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: arthritis

I would get him on some GlycoFlex II - one pill twice per day. You can order it from K9Vet or Omaha Pet Vaccine. A bottle of 120 costs about $35 or so. A friend of mine has a 5 year old and I noticed that he wasn't as playful when we all met at the dog park. I recommended the GlycoFlex and she said he's a changed lab - saw him today and he was butt tucking around the field

Thanks for the info. I was just about to post to ask the same question. Oona is 5 1/2 and starting to slow down. She has trouble getting into the car and she is hesitant about climbing the stairs. When she gets up from a nap she looks like an old lady. Structurally there doesn't seem to be any breaks or bruises but she does look like she is sore quite a bit.
    Olie

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yeah thanks. I wasn't sure if it was absolutely abnormal for him to be showing signs of arthritis at the age of 5. But I guess its not. If anyone else has more input, please add to it. Thanks everyone

There's some evidence that glucosamine and chondroitin do help retard the degredation of cartilage and help with arthritis, but the earlier you start, the better. I'm using Cosequin (in my opinion, it's one of the best/most pure supplements out there) to hopefully delay the onset of arthritis in Jes' hips since he has hip dysplasia.

Nick what is Cosequin and what does it do? Should you take it along with Glucosamine and Chondroitin?
    Olie

It's just one of the many brands of glucosamine and chondroitin, but it's very pure and they have a patented formula...so of course you pay for it. You can usually find bottles of it on eBay cheaper than you can at your vet's office.

I've also read where Kirkland's formula is one of the purest, along with Cosequin, according to independent tests. That's the key, finding one that has been tested as many of them actually contain far fewer amounts of glucosamine and chondroitin than the bottle says (it's not an industry regulated by the FDA).
    http://www.consumerlab.com/results/gluco.asp

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

Is it possible that your Lab gained some weight while you were gone? Even one extra pound can add quite a bit of additional pressure on the joints. So, you might look into weight management program for your dog.

I've heard from Scotty's ortho vet as well as many people here that Cosequin is the gold standard of G/C supplements. Scotty is taking Cosamine--human equivalent from Costco--but I'll switch him to Cosequin as soon as he's done with this bottle. Cosequin is pricier than other brands, but I'm hoping it's worth it.

Also, low-impact exercise is great is helping lose/maintain weight, get the joint juices flowing, and build muscle. Swimming or underwater treadmill are great in this regard.

I have also done Adequan injections with Scotty. I think they have helped a lot. Adequan is supposed to help repair cartliage damaged by arthritis. You might want to research this treatment. It's pretty expensive thought.

Finally, Scotty takes 100 mg of Rimadyl every day for pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatyana
    Is it possible that your Lab gained some weight while you were gone? Even one extra pound can add quite a bit of additional pressure on the joints. So, you might look into weight management program for your dog.
    Actually yes, Hank did gain some weight, about 3 to 4 pounds. I am just afraid to exercise him like I use to cause of his stiffness. I know his diet wil play a part in is weight loss but he needs exercise too. I guess like you said, just light but consistent exercise is the best or him right now. At least til I can find something that helps this stiffness. I will speak wth my vet to see what she recommends.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I will do some more research on it

Tatyana makes an excellent point, I know Jes' ortho vet always stresses the point to keep him thin. He only weighs 65lbs, and to me, he seems too thin, but his ortho vet likes him at this weight. I'm guessing if he had good hips, he'd probably carry 70lbs instead.

Quick question, Tatyana. Did you ortho vet urge you to switch? I was under the impression Cosequin and Cosamin are the exact same thing, just different names and marketed to different species.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast