Bold spot..?

Thread: Bold spot..?

Neska74 is offline Senior Member

DefaultBold spot..?

[color=Brown]I am new to this forum so hello everyone! I have a 9 mth old chocolate lab named Saba. He's awesome... however, when I was walking him today - at one point after he got up from rolling around in the grass (for some reason he loves doing it.. is there an explanation as to why???) I noticed some hair sticking up on his back, right by his tail. I pulled and a chunk came out. So I kept going over the spot with my hand and a lot more hair came out in chunks. I was horrified (still am!). I brushed him as soon as we got home and there was no other spot on his body where the coat came out like that. Mind you, he is loosing a lot of hair - I assume he's shedding for the summer? Never had a dog before.. so I'm learning as I go. Now he has this bold spot on his back - by his tail. Not exactly bold as you can't see the skin, but all his top coat is gone and there is just the dark short hair from his bottom coat. I will probably call the vet on Monday, but I wonder if anyone knows why that might be? He is behaving normally, so I don't see him being sick. Well, he might be a bit depressed - my parents are on holidays for 3 weeks and he misses my mom a lot I think - she's always at home with him. Hope someone can shed some light as to why his hair came out... Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Bold spot..?

First, welcome to the forum.*

I really have no experience, however, I did meet a lady at the dog park a few weeks ago whose Golden Retriever had the same issue.* It was coming out at exactly the spot she applied Frontline a few days earlier.* Yours doesn't sound like it's in the right spot for Frontline, but has any other medication been put in this spot? For instance K9 Advantix is supposed to be applied in several areas, including down the back by the tail.*

Does the skin underneath look different -- is it raw, does it have a rash, etc?

Mygirls2 is offline Senior Member

Has he been swimming a lot and not dried in that area really well.

I have a lab that loves to swim in the pool. We have to dry the base of her tail really well or she will get a fungus and lose hair. It is red where the hair is lost. You can usually pull the hair out in clumps where she has the fungus.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Nothing was applied there re: medicine. He was swimming today and I have dried him with a towel, but maybe that area did stay wet... I actually smelt it today (yup, I'm a dedicated dog owner! ) and that area smells different. not bad, but a little off.... ? that's weird.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

It may have a hot spot that went undetected during the acute phase. When they dry up, the hair will usually fall out.

what are hot spots...? I read about them but wondering if anyone can give a normal human to human explanation..
    thanks!