Am I imagining this?

Thread: Am I imagining this?

DefaultAm I imagining this?

Or is there no fur around Adama's right eye? (When looking at her straight on) She was at the vet this morning to get her sticthes removed, and the doctor didn't mention anything, but I hadn't noticed it yet. If she is missing fur around her eye, what could it be?? ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Am I imagining this?

Yep. Looks like some hair loss to me. How old is she? Could be demodex or a host of other little problems. Have it checked out, especially if it spreads.

she's only 5 1/2 months. what is demodex?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lab Tales
    she's only 5 1/2 months. what is demodex?
    Demodex is a type of mange. Diagnosis can be made by your vet -- they will need to do skin scrapings for examination. Demodex is caused by mites and is thought to be, to some degree, inherited. It does not cause itchiness nor is it contagious to other dogs or humans (another type of mange is).

You need to get your dog to the vet for a diagnosis/treatment.

Ok- so I just got a copy of Giffin's Dog Owner's Home Veterinary Handbook (it's huge! So much information) and from reading up on demodex and ringworm, I think Dama's hair loss looks more like Demodex...

But our vet took one look at her and said ringworm and plucked some hairs to send off for testing ($35) and didn't even do a scraping.
    The hair loss has gotten musch worse since my last post, and now it's apparent when Adama looks at you that there's a good amount of fur missing. Maybe I need a second opinion.

The vet also said that the test results could take up to 2 weeks- is this normal?