Staph infection question

Thread: Staph infection question

DefaultStaph infection question

Got a question here. Bella is almost 5 months old and when my uncle got her at 8 weeks old she developed what the dr. said was a staph infection. I have spray for her that I am supposed to put on her 2 times a day and I have been.
    She goes in and is supposed to get spayed June 19th, will they still spay her if she has this?
    I was reading tonight that some staph infection can be caused by food allergies. She has been on the same food that my uncle had her on (pedigree) so she has been on it since. She has the nasty gunky eyes, and the dandruff look, so I'm wondering if her staph infection is being caused by her food. Could this be true
    Im going to start her on a new food, get rid of that pedigree stuff. YUK.
    If I change her food and keep putting that medicine on her hopefully it will start to clear up before she gets spayed.
    Got any ideas. I was going to post a picture, but I didn't think anyone would want to see if for where its at. It's around her genitals.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Staph infection question

staph is everywhere, on everything, all the time...it just gets out of hand sometimes.
    i would definitely try a higher-protein, much higher-fat food...be sure to not make any sudden changes, gradually change the percentages until the swithch is made, over a week or 10 days, to avoid diarrhea.
    what exactly is this spray? i have only heard of antibiotics for staph problems, strong, long-term antibiotics at that!
    you may also want to consider the possibility that she has developed an allergy to whatever is in the spray, so the rash is being fueled by the spray!

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

I'm not aware that foods can cause or be a contributor to dogs getting staph infections.* Maybe someone else has solid scientific evidence on this pro or con.

Pedigree is not one of the commonly recommended "better foods."* Among the better known names of those are Diamond, Eukanuba, Nutro Natural Choice, ProPlan, and Science Diet.

Also, all canine nutrition scientists recommend feeding a LARGE BREED formula until the pup has reached adult size (or especially for the first year of life).

I doubt that a staph infection on the belly would postpone spaying but call your vet and ask for sure.

My Puff frequently gets staph infections on her belly --* red bumps that morph into dark splotches. The dermatologist we saw at K-State's CollVetMed Tchng Hospl figured it was due to Puff's running every morning in a nature preserve, getting a wet belly from the dew, and pollen, etc., irritating the skin.* She Rx'ed a medicated shampoo that works.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

She was born with a weaker immune system than her littermates. The staph infection is a side effect of a weak immune system. Her body is working overtime because possibly the allergens in the food are causing more sensitivity. Surgery would be another blow to her immune system. I would delay the spay until you change foods and get this under control or she may develop more allergies. JMHO.

Here is what I found about the staph infections and food.* Under
    What are likely causes of this type of skin irritation?

http://www.purebredlabs.com/staph_dermatitis.htm