Hot Spots

Thread: Hot Spots

ceset Guest

DefaultHot Spots

So, we woke up this morning and Cody had a huge hot spot on his lower-back/butt. I checked his coat last night (generally looking for ticks, etc) and he didn't have it and I haven't noticed him scratching at that spot or anything. But anyway, he clearly worked on it all night and it was a mess this morning. We had to go to the vet today anyway (for a kennel cough booster) and so now Cody's got a e-collar (which he hates), a huge shaved spot on his lower back, and a host of medications. Oh, and I've got a $191 vet bill. Fun.

So, what I'm wondering is, is there anyway to treat hot spots yourself? If I had noticed him scratching is there something I could have done? And, if I didn't notice until he had a full-blown hot spot, is there anything I can do other than fork over $100+ bucks at the vet?

Thanks!
    Christine

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Hot Spots

Goldbond powder has worked wonders for some.

We also use goldbond powder..keep it dry. they come up very fast.. Bear has had 2.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Zoezoe is right, Gold Bond Medicated powder is wonderful. I clip the hair around the area to get good exposure. Probably should start a flea treatment. Hot spots can spread very quickly, sometimes it seems likey they pop up overnight. I usually first clean with Betadine, dry throughly, and then apply the powder. Neo-Predef powder works, but more expensive and only available from a vet.

Guinness had his first case of hotspots last summer.... His was on his stomach. The vet suggested shaving the area surrounding the spots... than scrub the area with a tea tree oil shampoo with a gauze pad. Now, I thought that scrubbing the area would just increase his discomfort... but he loved it!!!!! After that we put a cone on him until the area dried... after a few treatments over a couple of days... they cleared up...