Eating critters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating critters

DefaultEating critters

Hey folks, I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with their lab eating yard critters?

My 80lb yellow lab has been hunting down, catching and subsequently eating the baby rabbits in my lawn. I've been trying to take them away from him, but he runs away & then swallows them. Yesterday he caught & ate about 2 1/2 of them.

I'm very grossed out by this, but he seems OK. I took him for a few long walks to encourage him to go to the bathroom.- no real change.

I know it's gross- but if anyone has had experience with this- I'd appreciate your perspective / tips.

Jeremy

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Eating critters

Birds and chipmunks here. I believe another member had his eat a baby rabbit. It's natural to them; I'd discourage it if you can; but otherwise, I don't think it's going to hurt them; especially since they are babies!

Thanks for the reassurement. I just stopped home for lunch to check on them- he seemed fine- though he caught another one. This one I was able to take away from him.

You would think the rabbits would get the point that there are predators patrolling this area... darwinism I guess...

Hey, just out of curiosity, how do I get my picture to appear in the signature block? I've been reading the other posts & trying to figure it out... no joy so far...

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

You have [img ]
    Shoud have no space there... [img]

I did a "how to" in the Help Desk section under Frequently Asked Questions... maybe that might give you help if what I said above wasn't the problem.
    ~Lindsay

Yes, I read you how to & tried both ways. I saw another 'how to' that showed spaces- that didn't work, then I saw a few that show astrix, but say remove them. anyhow- I'm sort of curious to make it work.

JDF

OK, I'm a dope- it was something else- Mea Culpa

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Mine have eaten all sorts of nasties. I think one the worst was eating the insides of a dead sheep! we have yet to have problem.

It may be gross to us but it is quite acceptable to them. Freshly killed prey is a lot more natural then the cooked dog food we give them. You should still discourage it of course.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

The most common problem that he can get is tapeworms from eating the raw flesh. Also, Tularemia has been recently diagnosed in rabbits in the Amarillo, TX area. Sea the notes below:

The CDC reported late yesterday that Francisella tularensis (the etiologic agent for tularemia) was isolated from a dead rabbit in Potter County. No human cases have been reported. Tularemia is endemic in rodents and rabbits throughout the Texas panhandle.

Humans can contract the disease by the bite of an infected flea or by contact with infected animals. The onset of tularemia is usually abrupt, with fever (38oC-40oC), headache, chills, myalgias, coryza, and sore throat. A pulse-temperature dissociation is often seen. A dry or slightly productive cough and substernal pain frequently occur with or without purulent sputum, dyspnea, tachypnea, pleuritic pain, or hemoptysis. Nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea may also occur. The illness progresses to an atypical pneumonia and may be fatal if untreated.

Rapid diagnostic testing for tularemia is not widely available. Physicians who suspect tularemia in patients presenting with atypical pneumonia should promptly collect specimens of respiratory secretions and blood and alert the laboratory to the need for special diagnostic and safety procedures. Growth of F. tularensis in culture is the definitive means of confirming the diagnosis of tularemia. It can be grown from pharyngeal washings, sputum specimens, and even fasting gastric aspirates in a high proportion of patients with tularemia. It is only occasionally isolated from blood.

Streptomycin is the drug of choice, but it is not widely available. Gentamicin, doxycycline, and chloramphenicol are acceptable alternatives. Most experts recommend parenteral therapy.

Primary prevention is directed toward reducing the threat of infection to humans in high-risk areas as eliminating sylvatic or wild tularemia is nearly impossible. Methods used to reduce the spread of infection to humans include use of insect repellant, discouraging contact with rabbits and other rodents, and reduction of rodent populations.

I remember when Brownie was a pup she ate roadkill. I didn't know she had eaten it because my hubby had taken her on a walk. Well that night she's in our room in her little pen and we hear this hideous noise coming from her. Suddenly she yarfed and then we smelled the most awful smell I think I have ever smelled. So much in fact that I was dry heaving and so was hubby. LOL We cleaned it up and my hubby said "Oh that's what she found". ACK!!!!!!! I guess I would discourage it but there really isn't too much you can do. Hopefully everything passes quickly.

Joelle is offline Senior Member

The Pupster just brought me a baby mouse the other day! :-X He thought it was great. He kept it in his mouth with the tail hanging out! UGH!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast