To Skinny? Updated w/ Pics
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To Skinny? Updated w/ Pics

dare1969 Guest

DefaultTo Skinny? Updated w/ Pics

I'm thinking Sydney is to skinny.
    She just turned 6mo old, and she only weighs 30lbs.
    The last time she was at the vet, they didn't comment on her weight, but
    I can see her ribs.* I know she doesn't have worms.* She gets fed 2x a day (1 1/2 cups each time)
    plus treats.* She was the runt of her litter and was only 7lbs at 12 weeks.
    Any suggestions?* Thoughts...anyone...beuller...beuller...

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Champsmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: To Skinny?

Is she getting alot of exercise? I feed according to how much exercise my dog is getting. He get's more exercise in the summer months, so I increase his meals.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Could you post some pictures of her? one from above and one from the side? Its hard for anyone to tell you your girl is too thin without getting a good look at her.

I wouldn't worry about her size as long as she is fit and healthy. As I am sure you know, Labs grow at all different rates. What line is your girl? field? show? a mix of the two? if she is as petite as you say she is, I'll guess she is a field type. Field type dogs tend to be leaner and more "ribby". It is not unusual to see some ribs on a healthy field type Lab.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

When you say "see her ribs" do you mean when she's standing in a certain way you can see them or like you can see them all the time? Also... can you see SOME but not ALL of her ribs?

For example... my Ender is a field lab (well mostly) and his last 3-4 ribs I can see when he stands a certain way... but he's a completely healthy weight. (I've posted pics several times)

But yes... pictures from the top down and from the sides are the best way for the "experts" to let you know if she looks thin or not.
    ~Lindsay

dare1969 Guest

DefaultRe: To Skinny? Pics Added

Here are some pics that might help.
    Like I said, she is very active, no worms, 3 cups of food a day + treats

DefaultRe: To Skinny? Updated w/ Pics

Maybe she is going through a gawky phase??? She seems a little thin but ya know Brownie went through the gawky teenage period, she was thin and her legs were so long.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

She looks fine to me. I don't see any ribs. She is just a naturally lean dog and will never look like the bulkier show types. She should fill out a bit more as she matures. One of my field typle males had a VERY similar build for the first year or so and bulked out a lot from 12-18 months. Comparing pictures of now and then, he looks like a different dog.

What food are you feeding and what percent protein and fat? Some field dogs just need a little more while they are growing. If she were my dog (and mine are all field) I would be looking at a little more to support her active growth.

She looks fine to me... Lexus went through a stage when she was about 7 months when she looked almost like that. But she ate normally and was healthy, so I never worried about it. (And now she is the normal Labrador "tank" size... lol...) I honestly wouldn't worry about it as long as she is eating normally, playing, healthy and happy. Don't start over feeding her because that isn't going to be good for her. Give her a good quality dog food at the recommended amount and just let her grow up. Most Labradors will grow up for the first part of their growing and then grow out during the second half. They look a little weird in the middle of all of that, but it is normal. Lexus did the exact same thing. But your girl looks fine to me!

She looks thin but I think it's just the way she's growing. I know Mocha grew like that and my cousin's lab Zuse was so tall and leggy at about 5-6 months. They are growing a lot at that age so maybe bump up the food just a little bit. She dosn't look bad though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast