colour change in coat

Thread: colour change in coat

Defaultcolour change in coat

hi, im new to this, and this is my first post, so here goes, we have a 10 month old gorgeous choclate lab who goes by the name of charlie,what i want to know is, is it normal for a choclate labs coat to change colour in the summer? charlies coat (just on his back) is going a kind of blonde and really light brown, is this normal?would appreciate some help, thanks ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: colour change in coat

i was wondering the same thing...i just noticed today that mobys ears are a bit lighter and his coat seems orangish

Yep, chocolates look funky in the summer. How much time is he spending outside? My boy hasn't started his color change yet, but I keep him out of the mid-day sun as much as I can.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

TangerineFizz is offline Senior Member

Yup it's normal. I also learned last weekend that a chocolates coat can change colour just before it "blows". The one I saw was almost a blonde!
    Me, Abzilla and the Helomonster.

Chocolates are especially bad the first year before they shed out coats. It's normal.

thanks for the reasuring replies, at least now i know our charlie is "normal"! perhaps now i can convince my neighbour who's sure im trying to dye him the same colour as my hair

oh gracious. The colors of koa. Hes gone from being so brown he was almost black to a flaming reddish color.

Axl is a chocolate too, I noticed about 3 months ago a lot of golden hi lites coming out on his back. We leave the patio door open during the day with the curtain drawn and he comes and goes from the backyard at will. He loves to lay in the sun on the deck so I guess its his form of getting a tan. And to think how much I have to pay for those hilites on my own hair!!!

Same thing has happened to Scrubs. It started a couple months ago with one light patch on her hip (people kept asking me if i spilled bleach on her or something, hehehe). Now her ears are lighter, and her legs have light areas on them. Scrubs loves the sun -- she lays outside quite a bit (I have a dog door so she can come in and out as she pleases).