Quality Dog Biscuits?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Quality Dog Biscuits?

CoCosMom is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuality Dog Biscuits?

Just wondering what type of dog biscuits are doled out around here?

We were on the puppy milkbones, but in favour of something more healthy I picked up Mother Hubbards chicken liver flavour mini biscuits... I'm not entirely sure CoCo likes them as much as the milkbones. They are made with wheat flour, oatmeal, real chicken liver, and I think apples and carrots.

She also gets moist liver treats (chopped up VERY tiny) for training... but not sure of the brand.
    ~Jo & CoCo

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Quality Dog Biscuits?

I shop at the independent stores where they sell foods like Wellness, California Natural, Innova, etc. These companies also make their own line of biscuits, most of them wheat, corn, and soy free. Milkbone, I believe, is preserved with BHA/BHT, a carcinogen. Most chain stores, i.e., Petco and Petsmart, do not sell these foods.

Thanks for the reply!

I bought the Mother Hubbards ones at an independent (Global Pet Foods... same as Ryan's Pet Foods I think... a Cdn franchise).

They also had the Welness and others like it.* The Mother Hubbards ones were a good size (I don't like the great big ones, I would rather give her 2 tiny ones!) and a decent price, considering she gets about 6-8 per day on average.
    ~Jo & CoCo

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Ender gets the ProPlan puppy biscuits occasionally (when we were worried that different foods were causing his digestive issues I wanted to get a "treat" that was as close to his normal food as possible... same brand... same core ingredients)

For training he gets Zuke's Naturals Minis... I LOVE these as they are the PERFECT size for training and require no work on my end to cut them up. I order those online. Sometimes I'll cut up hot dogs for him but they get so wet and need to be refridgerated sooo kind of a pain in the butt.

I also will give him a frozen marrow bone occassionally... especially when he's teething or I just need him occupied for a while.

His frozen kongs are banana/yogurt with bran and peanut butter.

~Lindsay

Thanks Lindsay, I'll look up those training treats!

The ones I bought were pretty small, but I still chopped them in half just because we go through a bazillion in obedience class.... eventually we'll phase them out and go with straight clicker training, but for now its CLICK n' treat!
    ~Jo & CoCo

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by CoCosMom
    Thanks Lindsay, I'll look up those training treats!

The ones I bought were pretty small, but I still chopped them in half just because we go through a bazillion in obedience class.... eventually we'll phase them out and go with straight clicker training, but for now its CLICK n' treat!
    So far I've used the chicken ones.

There is also Salmon, Peanut Butter, and Beef I think.

Oh and there is a difference between Zuke's Naturals... and Zukes Natural Minis... the minis are like the size of a pencil eraser.
    ~Lindsay

Pencil eraser size IS perfect! Thanks! I'll check to see if they are available locally first, if not, then I'll look at ordering them.
    ~Jo & CoCo

We have a nice local pet store with big bins of all different types of treats/biscuits. You just scoop 'em into a bag. They're mostly Mother Hubbard brand.....all the different flavors. They only charge $1.69/lb. too, so a great deal. I used to get them for Tucker for training....now just once in awhile for a treat.

Pupperoni's are a soft treat; you can break 'em into little pcs. for treats/training. The vet gave me a list of good low-cal treats, and Pupperoni is one of them.

Pupperoni is low cal? No way! My in-laws actually gave me some, and I used them first class, but figured they weren't that good for her. They were quite easy to slice into tiny pieces...

Do your dogs like the charcoal flavour Mother Hubbard's biscuits? That just seems weird... but I guess its good for them? I didn't get that kind.
    ~Jo & CoCo

I take chicken or turkey hot dogs, slice them into about 1/4-inch slices, score them into halves, place on a paper plate, and then nuke them for about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes or until they are kind of dehydrated. That way, you have own treats, can store them without refrigeration, and they snap in 2 very easily because they are scored. If you want smaller pieces, then score into fourths.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast