help is my lab over wieght????

Thread: help is my lab over wieght????

Defaulthelp is my lab over wieght????

every time when i take my bella out for a walk i always get remarks from people that she is big, iam starting to wonder if she is over wieght. she is my first dog so iam feeding her according to the food chart. i have her on science diet. i go for a early jog in the morning i just dont know how much she can handle i dont want to over do it with her. if any one can give me some tipsm, she is 5 months and is 42 pounds is that to big for her age. help

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: help is my lab over wieght????

I'll chime in here

Ender is 5 months and 43 lbs (at least... that was his weight a week and a half ago)

HOWEVER... the best way to determine this is to post a picture... one top down and one from the side... then the people on the forum can let you know if she looks too big.

If you are looking at her from the top down does she have a waist?* Meaning can you see an indent between the chest area and the rear end?

Can you feel her ribs?

All labs are different and grow at different rates... males tend to be bigger than femals... show/bench labs tend to look "bigger" than field labs.* Some people, meaning friends/family/neighbors/strangers who "think" they know but may or may not know anything about labs, have NO IDEA what a healthy lab looks like.

Also... have you asked your vet what they think?
    ~Lindsay

Hey, our Callie is five months old as well....

Can you post a photo or two?* It is hard to tell whether 42 lbs is too heavy without seeing the puppy.* Generally, the rule of thumb is that you should be able to see the rib cage but not too much and that looking down on the puppy you should see a waist... Dogs, like humans, have different metabolisms so the feeding scale on a bag of food will read 2 1/2 - 3 1/2 cups etc., and you have to play with it a bit to find the right amount for your dog.*

My best advice would be to ask your vet what his thoughts on your dogs weight are..that is always the safest thing to do, for the long term joint and heart health of your puppy.

You mentioned that you jog and I am assuming that you meant that you jog with your puppy. As for jogging, it really isn't recommended that a 5 month old be in "forced exercise" in other words, jogging with you holding her on leash is forced exercise because she can't just stop and lay down when she is ready to but must wait until you stop. The term "forced exercise"* is more harsh than the actual act, but the damage potential is real for labs unfortunately.* It can damage the hips and elbows so it is recommended to not "force" exercise until after the age of two.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Good advice above...

You shouldn't feed the amount shown on the back of the bag. It is intended as a guideline and a guideline only. It should be adapted for the individual. I actually wish they didn't print the amounts because they are misleading. Feeding the amount shown on the back of the bag often leads to two things --either you don't feed the dog enough or you overfeed. Instead, you should feed according to the size of the dog and the amount of exercise it receives.

How is your dog bred? is she a show type? field? mix of the two? Enders Mom is absolutely right in saying that there is no fixed growth/weight chart that all dogs follow. There is such a variety of "types" within the breed that you can get Labs as small as 45lbs and as large as 100lbs+. If your dog is a show type, she is naturally going to be stockier than say a field bred or (probably the most common "type") a pet/BYB bred. Most who pass judgement on our dogs have no idea what they are talking about. My dogs, apparently, are "too small" to be purebred Labradors!

And yes, if you want anyone on here to help determine your dogs weight, please post some pictures. Also, you should be doing NO forced exercise until your dog is 2 years old. The rule of thumb is 5 minutes of exercise per month of age and is intended to protect fragile growing joints. For a 5 month old that is 25 minutes a day. If you are doing leash walking you should stick roughly to that amount. If it is off leash, you can up that amount of you want.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Excellent advice from everyone.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748