is my lab unhealthy?

Thread: is my lab unhealthy?

Defaultis my lab unhealthy?

hi guys, i just want to ask for some advice for my lab... i think she's a bit malnourished, is she?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: is my lab unhealthy?

Are you asking if your dog it too skinny? If so, compare your dog to this chart: http://www.placervillevet.com/canine...0condition.htm

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Unless you are starving your dog, why would she be malnourished?

If you think your dog is skinny, post some pictures. One from the side and one from above. You should be able to feel but not see ribs on a pup.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I think, from that picture, she looks pretty normal to me.

As long as she is eating normally and she has been examined by a vet (as all puppies should be) then I would see no reason to worry. If she hasn't been to the vet in a little while, then perhaps you should submit a stool sample to your vet and have her checked for worms.

You need to keep in mind that Labs are a highly active breed; even for puppies. Sometimes they just run around and play so much that they really don't keep much weight on them until they get a little older and slow down. I know that Lexus stayed pretty lean throughout her puppyhood. She ate normally and everything but she just played and ran around SO much that she didn't keep a lot of extra weight on her.

As was said, you shouldn't be able to see her ribs. If you do then perhaps there is a problem that needs to be looked at. However, if you cannot see her ribs then I wouldn't worry about her size.

so from that picture, is the ribs visible?

What do you mean by malnourished? How old is your pup? How much does it weigh? How much do you feed it, how often do you feed it, and what are you feeding? There are many factors here.

I can't see much from the picture, personally. You might want to try side shots and above shots, like Trickster suggested.

i see. thnx guys...