foot licking - arrrrrrgh!

Thread: foot licking - arrrrrrgh!

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Defaultfoot licking - arrrrrrgh!

Well, it's summertime and the living is itchy around here . Both of my girls tend to get a little itchy in the summer, but nothing really major. Lately, though, my girls are doing lots and lots of foot licking. Tess is actually starting to get a lick sore on her right wrist, which is sending me into total panic mode. I changed the girls food to ProPlan Performance about 6 or 7 weeks ago, and they look super. They have put on lots of coat and poops are good, but I'm wondering if the food is contributing to the foot licking. Both girls are really itchy, too. The foot licking started after the food change, but that could just be a coincidence, I guess.

My question is - is foot licking considered more a symptom of atopic allergy or food allergy?

We are showing the summer (in fact, Tess won her first major this past weekend - WOOHOO!) so I don't want to change food and blow coat if I don't have to. However, I certainly don't want to get into trouble with a lick granuloma or foot licking habit if it can at all be avoided. Ideas, anyone?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: foot licking - arrrrrrgh!

Foot licking can be a nightmare........have only had it one time with Lily and that was when I changed her food- We went from Wellness Chicken to Chicken Soup and although she loved the food - it didn't love her. Within a few days of switching her back to Wellness the licking was gone.* If your labs have had this before I'd say it is enviromental but if it's more than possibly the food or a little of both.* I know there are articles written that claim that it is from something "lacking" in the dogs nutrition and I believe Solid Gold Food actually has a supplement called Sea Meal that is supposed to add the things missing and stop the licking etc. I'm not sure you will find a clear cut answer till you possibly change the food back and see if the licking lessons...no different enviromental stuff going on ...like fertilizer on lawn etc. that is new?* Rug powder on carpet ?* Shampoo or anything new to coat?* You've probley already thought of this but thought I'd run it by anyway.....I'd probley switch back to old food and give fish oil or sardines for the coats. and see what happens within a couple of weeks..if it is food then it will clear up pretty quickly.* Best of luck with it...
    Colby

Ha! Been there done that. Murray has really bad environmental allergies. I switched his food during allergy season once. I'll never do that again.

Since you don't want to switch food and you aren't sure if it is environmental or not there are still a couple of things you can do. First, make sure you thoroughly wash and dry her feet when she comes back inside. This will reduce the amount of pollen, allergens on her feet. Second, spray the sore area with Desenex to keep her from licking. Third, ask the vet for a steroid foot spray, (unfortunately I can't think of the name of it right now) but spray this on the pads and between the toes. This will help immensely with the itchies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the ideas, y'all. I haven't changed anything else lately - detergent, etc. I think the food change is contributing to their itchiness, since that is the only thing that has changed. I guess I'll try a more holistic food and get them off of wheat, corn, etc. and see how that works.

I appreciate the help.