My lab has scratchy ears and snout??

Thread: My lab has scratchy ears and snout??

jjo

DefaultMy lab has scratchy ears and snout??

My 3 1/2 yr old lab has developed scratchy ears. He's scratching them a lot. He also continues to scratch his snout particularly on the one side. Took him to my vet last fall, and he showed me how to clean and gave me cleansing and drying solutions. He said it might be an allergy which would go away with colder weather (it Didn't) or it could be a simple ear infection/yeast. Haven't had any success in clearing this up and each visit to the vet is +$150. I'm especially concerned about him scratching his snout * in addition to the ears.* Last week, tried the alcohol, vinegar and water solution which seemed to help for a few days but its now back again full force. There is an odor in his ear(s) but not excessive and no discharge. We try to clean his ears now at least weekly.* What should I do?? Thanks in advance..

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

georgie is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: My lab has scratchy ears and snout??

Since there is a smell now I would have your vet check the ears. You may need antibiotic drops.

jjo

DefaultRe: My lab has scratchy ears and snout??

smell is pretty mild and minor ( If we weren't looking for it, we'd say needs a bath )but he continues to scratch his ears and snout. Last fall, vet didn't think he needed antibiotic. Condition is essentially same since then. No worse, no better?? Its a challenge. Thanks for your input already. Should I try one of the earwashes such as the famous purple one or alcohol/vinegar/water ?* ??? ???