Lab not eating
Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Lab not eating

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    14

    DefaultLab not eating

    She is 7 months and she is just not interested in eating, has never been a come and get it girl. She is on nutro nat l&r should I switch her food to something more generic with flavor? IShe has never run to the food when I dish it out she'll walk by it and look and keep walking?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Lawrence (ex-Topeka), KS
    Posts
    8,472

    DefaultRe: Lab not eating

    At about this age (7-10 months) the bulk of Lab growth has occurred so the need for large quantities of food to support both the present state of growth plus huge amounts of future growth is no longer there.

    For example, my Puff (YF, AKC, field line, 63 lbs., dob: 8-'01) is in that 10% of Labs that self regulate their food intake rather than being a glutton like the other 90%.

    She went from eating about a cup a day up to eating 5 cups a day when she was about 8 months old.* Then she quit eating for a day or so.* When she returned to eating she ate about 4 cups/day.* Then it happened several times again (or leaving part of her food uneaten) until we're finally down to 2.5 cups/day divided into 2 meals.

    Young pups eat 2X to 3X the amount needed for their body weight.* Older pups go from, say, eating 1.5X down to 1.2X to finally 1.0X the normal amount for that body weight.* Or at least they should.

    It sounds like you're fortunate -- as I am -- to have a Lab that appropriately self- regulates its food intake.* Don't ruin it.* Listen to what she's telling you.

    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

    Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
 

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25