Bloody Urine after Neutering

Thread: Bloody Urine after Neutering

DefaultBloody Urine after Neutering

I finally decided to neuter Keeper (3 yrs old) since his allergies make him a bad candidate to breed. He had his surgery three days ago and this evening I noticed his urine was red. Had to take him to another Vet that has emergency hours. They did a urine sample to confirm the blood and perscribed 250mg Clavamox assuming it is a bladder infection.* The surgical area looks OK.

The Vet said it is only a coincidence that the problem coinsides with the neutering. I plan to research it some more but thought I would bring it up here to see if anyone has experience on the subject.

Update: Just researched the pain medication given for Keeper's post surgery pain and swelling. "Rimadyl" Just read several negative cases about on this drug made by Pfizer. Many speak of bloody urine within a couple days. I now have spent $540. for what I thought would be a simple procedure. The question now is do I stop all drugs, see if it clears and try to recover some of my money back if it works.
    http://www.activexamerica.com/article-detail.php?ID=131

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Bloody Urine after Neutering

Update: Just researched the pain medication given for Keeper's post surgery pain and swelling. "Rimadyl" Just read several negative cases about on this drug made by Pfizer. Many speak of bloody urine within a couple days. I now have spent $540. for what I thought would be a simple procedure. The question now is do I stop all drugs, see if it clears and try to recover some of my money back if it works.
    http://www.activexamerica.com/article-detail.php?ID=131

Although it has been documented that Rimadyl can cause problems, it doesn't in the vast majority of dogs. You need to consult your regular vet or get another opinion before you discontine antibiotics that he may need by what you read on the internet and are asking a message board. Did your vet do a culture? A UTI untreated will lead to kidney problems. If the bleeding doesn't stop by tomorrow get him in to your vet. If it gets worse go to an emergency vet.

georgie is offline Senior Member

I would have your vet check him. It may be a coincidence but also he was just neutered & I would want the vet who did the surgery to check him.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I decided to continue the Antibiotics in case it is an infection. Not sure if they did a culture. I was charged for Urinalysis/Fluid-Complete, Cathiieter and Clavamox. He still has blood in his urine today but it did not appear quite as dark. Plan to visit the Vet that did the procedure tomorrow (Monday).

Thanks
    Tom
    Boise ID

The blood appears to have cleared at this point. The follow up with the Vet said it could have been a UTI caused by the stress of the surgery. I mentioned the reports of the Remidyl and she had not heard of them and said she would investigate on her own.

I contacted Pfizer and they took down all the information and said they report all calls to the FDA. They admitted they receive calls on this subject but cannot verify it is the drug causing the syptoms verses coincidental factors.

From another site

* *" Side effects included gastrointestinal, renal and liver problems, and death. Within those first three years, 10,000 dog owners had reported an*
    adverse reaction to Rimadyl, and there were at least 1,500 deaths or euthanasias attributed to the drug. And it is generally accepted that many adverse reactions are not reported, so the real statistics are likely to be significantly higher."

Someone else said this is blown out of porportion.

Not trying to cause a panic or slam Pfizer I just know I won't ever use it again.

I hope things continue improving for Keeper. Sorry to hear he had such trouble, however, thanks for informing all of us about the drug and side effects. A great thing for all of us to keep in mind just incase any of us run across the same situation.

Quote Originally Posted by TLynn
    The blood appears to have cleared at this point. The follow up with the Vet said it could have been a UTI caused by the stress of the surgery. I mentioned the reports of the Remidyl and she had not heard of them and said she would investigate on her own.

I contacted Pfizer and they took down all the information and said they report all calls to the FDA. They admitted they receive calls on this subject but cannot verify it is the drug causing the syptoms verses coincidental factors.

From another site

* *" Side effects included gastrointestinal, renal and liver problems, and death. Within those first three years, 10,000 dog owners had reported an*
    adverse reaction to Rimadyl, and there were at least 1,500 deaths or euthanasias attributed to the drug. And it is generally accepted that many adverse reactions are not reported, so the real statistics are likely to be significantly higher."

Someone else said this is blown out of porportion.

Not trying to cause a panic or slam Pfizer I just know I won't ever use it again.

I read all the problems with Rimadyl years ago and I was concerned until I studied the statistics. I did not say it was blown out of proportion but 2,500,000 dogs were treated the first two years at the same time there were 10,000 adverse reactions. That is less than one half percent; much lower than adverse reactions to OTC aspirin in humans at 16.5%. In humans "5 to 15 percent of all therapeutic drug courses have reactions. Three to
    6 percent of all hospital admissions are because of adverse drug reactions, and 6 to 15 percent of hospitalized patients suffer a drug reaction." Any medication carries risk to a certain percentage of the population.

I don't know why you vet was not aware of the adverse reactions because, from the FDA website "CVM (FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine) asked Pfizer to send a "Dear Doctor" letter to veterinarians informing them of the adverse effects reported with product use. In August 1997, Pfizer mailed a "Dear Doctor" letter to all veterinarians who had purchased the product. By September 1997, Pfizer had revised Rimadyl® labeling to include an extensive adverse reaction section. The possibility of a fatal outcome was mentioned elsewhere on the label, but death was also added to the adverse reactions section in the spring of 1999. In addition, at CVM?s request, Pfizer developed and distributed an information sheet containing safety information for veterinarians to give to owners at the time Rimadyl® is dispensed."

If your vet would have done a urinalysis and culture instead of treating for symptoms only, it would be clear cut whether there was an infection or a drug reaction. Bacteria are not present with a drug reaction. Now it is too late to tell. I hope your dog is better.