Here goes:* *For the last 3 years upon the strong recommedation of my vet Lily has received the lyme vaccination. Last month when I took her in for her yearly physical and* rabies shot I got into a debate with my vet over the lyme shot.* She feels very strongly that dogs in this area should have it administered.* She said that 3 dogs had died last year from complications of lyme and if only they had been given the shot they possibly could of lived.* I asked her why she felt so many are dead against this immunization and she said that the older lyme shot was the problem and that people do not realize that this vaccine is different etc.* I asked her why they did not give it to humans and she did not have the answer.* I asked her why many feel if you give it to your dog once then you have risked the health of your dog.* She did not answer me......She did mention that those that do not give the vaccine turn to Advantix and Frontline / Frontline plus and that is poison also.* She mentioned the neurological effect on cats with one of them and said that shows that it does indeed have the potential to harm animals ....and she is right ....it is a poison.* So I am at a real crossroads here.....Lily has had 2 ticks on her already.....both deer ticks so she has been exposed this year.* I just received the notification in the mail about getting the lyme again...and after asking around most people here do get their dogs vaccinated with it.*
Question:* How is it that I have potentially harmed Lily from giving her the lyme shot in the past?* Does it stay in the dog forever?* If so why must you give a booster each year??*
Question:* To those of you putting frontline/ Advantix on your dogs... You feel ok with putting this on them?* It is a posion of some sort.....I have not used it but I believe you must take care not to touch area till dry if you do not to get in your mouth eyes etc?* One causes neurological problem in cats* and you don't worry a little about applying?*
Please understand that I am not asking this to be a jerk so please do not take it that way.....I just want to understand why you feel comfortable with one method and not the other * And I am trying to figure out what the heck to do with Lily and these ticks....I check her over and they are so darn small I just miss them, so I obviously must do something. ???
I don't know about the vaccine as we don't use it, but I feel 100% comfortable with Frontline. For one, fipronil is selective in that it blocks only the glutamate-activated chloride channels of insects, not humans. This is what causes the nervous system of fleas and ticks to fail. Two, very little actually reaches the bloodstream in dogs, the fast majority remains in their sebaceous glands.
According to the MSDS sheet for Frontline, the lethal dose is a whopping 750 mg/kg (orally) and 5000mg/kg (on the skin) which probably has about as much to do with the alcohol content as the actual drug. Also, if you look at the MSDS for ethanol (the alcohol we drink for fun), you'll see a lot of the same warnings. The active ingredients in Frontline Plus, fipronil and methoprene, are dissolved in ethanol.
Yes, they do have warnings, but if you read the MSDS sheets on common chemicals we use daily, you probably wouldn't use much of anything aside from water.
Colby, don't know if this will be much help or not. I don't get a lyme vac for Buddy because lyme disease is not that big a problem in our area. I do use K9 Advantix on him. I do believe if I lived in a high risk area that I would give the vac. I would have to do more research on it before hand, though.
Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
Thank you Nick and Monnie for taking the time to reply. ...and thank you Nick for explaining a little about Frontline and how it works- I may end up using this for this year.
There have been quite a few views to this thread, and I know that there are those here that really are against the vaccine.* A question on my mind is something that I read one time* at the here and it was a response that was posted in a thread regarding the lyme vaccine (I wish I had kept the thread now!) - the gist of it was that if the person had already given the vaccine to their dog (even if it was just one time) then it was too late.* And what I'd like to know is "what does too late" mean ??? Hopefully someone will remember reading the thread also ...it was awhile ago.
I have had the same debate only my vet thinks the vaccine is a waste of time since it has potential problems and he has seen about only 60% immunity. I decided to not continue with the vaccine and to use Frontline. I also decided to test for Lyme twice a year instead of only once. The reason Lyme is deadly is because it goes undiagnosed. If Diagnosed early it is treatable. Why not spend the extra 30 bucks a dog per year to test twice a year? It makes sense to me.
And to me* ;D* *A very good compromise and I think a 2nd testing is a wicked good idea* Thanks Kris !It makes sense to me
I don't know anything about the lyme vaccine, and haven't read up on it; so I don't have an opinion.
We live in an area with lots of ticks, and people have gotten lyme disease here too. We've always used Frontline Plus on Tucker. We've found ticks on him a few times, but they've been crawling slowly...dying. I called Frontline about it, because I thought using it would prevent ticks from getting on the dog at all. They said no, they can still get on, but will die within 24-48 hrs.
My vet has never mentioned doing a lyme vaccine, so unless she did, I'll continue with Fronline.
KRISINME - It is my understanding that if your dog is ever vaccinated for Lyme that they would forever show up as Lyme positive on the tests. Is this correct? (I'm asking since it sounds like you once vaccinated but don't anymore).Originally Posted by krisinme