exhausted extraordinarily ?

Thread: exhausted extraordinarily ?

phaereet is offline Member

Defaultexhausted extraordinarily ?

Two years old , male, full of energy, two hours (1 in the morning, 1 at the evening hours) out at the park area nearby. He used to be always ready for me to throw the tennis ball as long as I raised the ball the ball(even for an hour playing was never enough for him).

Now 10 minutes of running make him exhausted and he drops down on grass and breaths heavily. He needs 10 minutes of resting to get ready again. He has nothing unusual in his routine (appetite, stool, humour, cheerful attendance, no actual orthopedic issues no weight gain problems).

Does this mean he is grown up now and gets tired normally ? Or this is abnormal in Lab behaviour (heartworm or other parasitic issues affecting cardiorespiratory performance?)

Thanks everybody !

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: exhausted extraordinarily ?

Do a worm check.

Trickster is offline Senior Member

Now 10 minutes of running make him exhausted and he drops down on grass and breaths heavily. He needs 10 minutes of resting to get ready again
    How hot is it in your area? it could simply be from the heat.

Have you had him checked out by the vet? I don't really know what to suggest but drops in energy level with my dogs usually means something is up.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

WigWag Guest

I was thinking of heat as well. It's been hot here lately and my dogs need their pool filled and take frequent breaks whereas just a month ago they would go go go because it was a lot cooler.

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

I was thinking the heat, too. My little guy (14 months) is usually a bundle of energy. Now it's so hot and humid he doesn't do much more than lie around :-\

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

dogmom is offline Senior Member

A Vet visit is in order. There are many things that could cause this, heartworms, internal parasites, exercise induced collapse, Valley Fever (depends on the part of the country you live in), heart problems, the heat, etc. The only way to know is a check up.

I agree with the others, it may be the heat. Mine really slow down and do not tolerate it well.

phaereet is offline Member

Thanks.. You know a lot.. You are surely right Today I witnessed that that it was only the heat and the humidity of first summer. As it rained for two hours and he was again as he had used to be.. ENERGETIC and CHEERFUL Ever ready for any sort of sharing with his companion.. ME !

Sudden change in weather conditions might have caused this change in manner. I live in Istanbul and there was a remarkable rise in weather heat in last week
    THANK YOU ALL

so glad it was not something bad!
    remember that a dog having fun can overheat easily--it is up to us to make them take shade/water breaks, or call a session short.
    a sign to watch out for are a tongue that gets redder & longer & hangs down from their mouth--the blood is engorging it in an attempt to cool their body.
    some dogs look as though you couldn't even fit the tongue back in their mouth--it is time to Stop all activity immediately & get them to shade & water if you see this.

biscuit is offline Senior Member

I was just going to post that it was probably the heat as well, but you already posted a reply. Glad that you figured it out!!
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit