Newbie needs advice with arthritis in seniors
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Newbie needs advice with arthritis in seniors

lovelabs is offline Junior Member

DefaultNewbie needs advice with arthritis in seniors

Hi all, I have been reading this board for a while but have just started my 1st post. You guys always gave great advice, so was hoping to hear some advice for my doggie.

I have 1 male yellow lab & 2 black mix girls. 1 of my girl is a lab mix who is about 13yrs young

She has never really had any serious health problems. But about 1 week ago, she suddenly doesn't seem to want to move. Especially the last 3 days, she refuse to get up to walk at all. She still eats & drinks when its brought to her but she just won't move.

When you get her up on her feet, she can actually walk but very stiff movements & the back is slightly arch.

Brought her to the vet, she said its arthritis & recommended a jab called castrophen and supplement with glucosamine in the long run. Just wondering if any of you here had similar experience with your seniors & what was your course of treatment for your precious ones.

I am really worried for her and would like to explore the best course for them. Am not expecting her to recover 100% back to her bouncy self before. But at least I would hope that she could regain her basic ability to move around to get to her food & drink & go to the toilet & make her feel more comfortable.

Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks all!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

Brought her to the vet, she said its arthritis
    What did they do to determine it is indeed arthritis? I hope they did xrays to rule out other, more serious, things?

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

Actually she did not do any xrays & didn't suggest it too. She was feeling her joints & could see her obvious stiffness & testing her for any signs of pain. I never had experience with seniors & I was probably in a panice mode then & not thinking properly.

Came home & thought about it & felt didnt seem too right. Hope to get some advice or should i just send her back for a thorough examination.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Belles mom is offline Senior Member

Welcome!

I would either insist on a more complete exam or get another opinion. It seems like it was an awfully sudden onset to just claim it to be arthritis. The hunched back sounds suspicious also

Karen and the gang
    BBI Kodi's Journey To Anotch (Journey)
    BBI Kodi's Blackpowder Striker (Flint)

Garth is offline Registered Users

I would go back to the vet & get more tests or get a 2nd opinion just in case as Amy said, it's something more serious although arthritis is serious pain in itself. Poor girl. I hope you can get the pain under control.

Where does she sleep & what does she sleep on? If she's just sleeping on a hard floor, that wont be helping. She needs to be kept comfortable.

It's hard to talk about drugs because if you're in Singapore, you might have different treatments or the drugs might go under another name. I would be asking the vet about painkillers, anti-inflammatories & glucosamine. Cortisone (Prednisone) is a good anti-inflammatory but that's assuming it is arthritis.

Good luck & keep us posted re how she's progressing.
    Last edited by Garth; 03-18-2009 at 11:47 AM.

I feel like a horrible mum now. Should have insisted on xray to be taken.

She is usually on my couch, but not being able to get up now, she is on the floor most of the time. I try to line a cushion under her. She was quite whiny before, but i reach out to gently massage & pat her she stops whining & the tail starts wagging. It really breaks my heart to see her like that.

I have a friend whose jack russell had similar symptoms. Seem like the spine is slightly out of alignment. Not sure if they had a term for that & her vet administered the same jab on him.

Planning on starting her on glucosamine. Also gently massaged her with arnica gel. She seem to look more comfy. Another question. Do you guys feed human glucosamine or those specifically for pets?

Thanks again!

blackandyellow is offline Senior Member

I seriously recommend the x-rays to rule out it´s not other things. If it appeared suddently it might be reumatism, because arthritis develops progressively and the dog would have shown signs of pain or lameness over time.

Glucosamine doesn´t calm pain, it supposedly helps keep cartilage alive and help joints, but in an old dog it probably won´t do anything.

Once it is ruled out that it is arthritis or reumatism, treatment has to be via painkillers and your vet needs to determine the best ones for your dog (there are many, rimadyl, metacam etogesic, in severe cases cortisone...)

Arthritis cannot be cured, the only thing you do is manage pain to keep them with relatively good quality of life. Don´t let your dog suffer! if the first vet didn´t offer a good solution look for another one

Garth is offline Registered Users

She is usually on my couch, but not being able to get up now, she is on the floor most of the time. I try to line a cushion under her.
    See if you can get a bed like this. You should be able to get one like it in any good pet store. If not, think about a human mattress for her.

Another question. Do you guys feed human glucosamine or those specifically for pets?
    Maybe someone here can answer that but IMO, you should NEVER give human drugs to any animal unless it's prescribed by your vet. I had to go to my vet A/H one night in an emergency. He was trying to save a dog that was dying because its owner gave it a human antibiotic. I later found out he had to put it to sleep. The sound of that dog dying is something that will haunt me for the rest of my life.

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Arthritis so sever to keep her from getting up would not come on this quick. It would be gradual. The hunch in her back is a concern. She could have a slipped disc or she could have internal pain such as a blockage.

X-rays can definitively diagnose arthritis as mentioned by others.

You may also want to consider a canine chiropractor.

At her age I would also have full bloodwork and urinalysis done right away.

If it turns out to be arthritis (and she may have some at her age that is not related to her not getting up) here is some info on natural supplements you can try.

http://www.heartypet.com/blog/?p=25

Snowco Labradors is offline Senior Member

Yes you can give human grade Glucosomine and vitamins to dogs. Not "drugs" though, without checking with your vet. Some are safe, some are not.

I am curious as to what antibiotic was given to the poor dog that died. Clavamox and Amox are given to humans and to dogs (administered by the vet of course).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast