*sigh* Will this ever end? (UPDATE!!!!)
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *sigh* Will this ever end? (UPDATE!!!!)

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Default*sigh* Will this ever end? (UPDATE!!!!)

UPDATE!!!!! The super duper fecal exam showed he has Giardia!!! I'm so happy that we found a cause and it isn't some weird food thing that I can't figure out. The Vet is getting together a dosage that Eric will pick up after work. I have no idea what giardia is but I know it's been mentioned on here a bazillion times so I'm off to do a search and figure out what the deal is... how he could have gotten it... and treatments etc. (Of course feel free to reply with your experience/knowledge if ya want).

----------------------------------
    Just when I think things are going okay with Ender... it starts up again and I think "oh it's just the one time 'cause he got treats from the trainer at puppy kindergarten" or "he just exercised pretty hard and sometimes that happens"... but the thing I've come to realize is that his poop is just averaging way below the "normal" mark... he'll have a solid firm healthy poop and I'll get all excited... then 10-15 minutes later he'll poop again and it's mushy.

It all came to a head last night when I hear water running at 3 am. I wake up and realize it's Ender peeing on the carpet. (For 2 weeks now he's slept in his crate with the door open but otherwise baby gated into our bedroom... just fine... this allows him to get up and stretch in the morning walk around the bed and lay in another spot but otherwise not bother us until he "really" needs to go... which is either when we are up allready or he starts whining and we get up and take him out) This time... no whining. He hadn't had an accident in nearly 2 months in the house.

So... we are having a FULL BLOWN fecal exam done today. (I had no idea there was the normal one and then the "expensive" one). Normal fecal is $18... the one he's getting is the normal plus Giardia (spelling?) $18, and a smear test (??? what does this tell them?) $16. Total of $52. I REALLY REALLY REALLY hope they find something this time.

For those that know... Labby and the other gurus... is there additional things that could cause loose stool that those tests I described above might miss? Regardless of the test results I asked that a vet tech or the vet call me today, even if the test is negative, to talk about what to do next. Right now I'd pay VERY good money to know EXACTLY what is going on with Ender. If there is one thing I can't stand it's the whole trial and error diagnosis process.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: *sigh* Will this ever end?

I just read an article in Gazette magazine, while I was waiting at the vets, about fecal tests and how often things are missed. It's not the vet's fault, etc; it's just that you have to have the perfect poop and things have to be happening in that piece of poop for them to get a proper diagnosis. They suggested having several tests done or treating for the "suspected" problem. Make sure the poop is very fresh. Didn't you all go to the lake over the weekend ... that can sometimes do it.

Maybe keep him out of the lake.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

No advice but on the odd occassion Lizzie has just squatted down and peed in the house, I just couldn't believe my eyes... also her poop isn't always solid, sometimes it can be quite runny... but she does eat absolutely anything she can find... good luck with the test and be sure to let us all know the results..

Yes... I realize that it is totally NOT the vet's fault if Ender has something but it happens to not show up in his poop. I just wish there was a surefire way to tell so it can be ruled out as a possibility. It annoys me to NO END that you can take a gazillion poop samples in and each one gives the all clear, yet something might still be wrong with him.

He did swim over the weekend. He swims every weekend but this weekend was different 'cause he went to a different lake that "seems" much more murky and dirty than Lake Michigan but what do I know? (Oh also the place he goes to to swim in Lake Michigan is IN a jetty so I don't know if that makes the water better or worse than a regular beech... it looks super clear all the way to the bottom)

He's had these poop issues for as long as we've had him... they'll be fine... then they'll get worse... he'll be "okay" for three days straight and then suddenly, with nothing added to his diet, the poops start getting looser and looser.

We started giving him some pumpkin at the begining of the week (I thought... maybe he just needs more fiber) and for a few days there was an improvement... now we are BACK to loose poop more than firm.

Anyways... I really hope either something shows up or the vet tells me something other than "try the bland diet again."
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Maybe keep him out of the lake.
    I can do this... though he LOVES the lake (and we like it since it's the only thing that tires him out)... but can you please tell me why? I mean... is the mere swallowing of lake water while he's retreiving on weekend enough to cause loose-ish stool all week? Or is he getting some parasite from the lake?

Maybe that is a stupid question but this is my first dog and I'm just wondering what the lake/loose stool connection is.
    ~Lindsay

DefaultRe: *sigh* Will this ever end? (UPDATE!!!!)

Let's hope they give him Panacur for the Giardia and not metronidazole (Flagyl), which is not very effective at treating Giardia.* Giardia can be waterborne.
    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by kiddsmom
    Let's hope they give him Panacur for the Giardia and not metronidazole (Flagyl), which is not very effective at treating Giardia. Giardia can be waterborne.
    http://www.petplace.com/dogs/giardia-in-dogs/page1.aspx
    Thanks for the link. I called the vet and they are giving him Panacur... a 5 day dosage. I'm off to read that link now!!! Vet also recommended bathing him to keep him clean (cause they can reinfect themselves by licking... oh gross!)

Do we need to do the full blown bath or will the pet wipes keep him clean enough? Should I wash or somehow disinfect his toys/bedding?
    ~Lindsay

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

That is so interesting..................
    I was talking with my dil about the problems Princess is having and this is what you sent me in an e-mail...............
    she used to work as a vet asst......

I would definitely ask if they checked for Giardia. You would have most likely had to pay an additional fee for that…probably not very cheap either. I think we charge $50 or more. It is a tedious test that just takes time to run. It is extremely hard to diagnose it on a routine fecal exam. Metronidazole is a medicine used when there is blood in the stool. A lot of times our doctors will prescribe that with Sucralfate. Amoxitabs…antibiotic that is a broad spectrum. Probably gave it to her because they didn’t know what she had. Let me know what they say about the Giardia test. It is probably best to get a fresh sample of stool so they may ask you to bring her in to get a sample.

[IMG]/[/IMG]

Yeah Ender is good about pooping in the morning so I had Eric take in a stool sample on his way to work. I'm soooo relieved that we have a definite cause now and my baby can get healthy again.

Kiddsmom... soooo once Ender gets better... if I take him swimming am I allways running the risk he'll pick it up again? The PetPlace link suggested there is a vaccination for it?

Is there any way to tell how long Ender has had this? Personally we've been on this roller coaster ride for 2 months just about... could he have had it all this time and has just been so stoic about it?
    ~Lindsay

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast