mosquitoes love my lab

Thread: mosquitoes love my lab

lab13 Guest

Defaultmosquitoes love my lab

Help - my lab is getting eaten by mosquitoes.

How can we help prevent her from getting bitten or treat the spots as they are ITCHY and she is already an itchy dog.

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: mosquitoes love my lab

Try using a product like K-9 Advantix. It should help repeal misquitoes. You can order it online or see if your vet carries it.

dogmom is offline Senior Member

Also make sure your dog is on heartworm preventative.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Ditto - K9 Advantix

lab13 Guest

Someone passed this on to me today to try:

Homemade Insect Repellent For Pets

Slice 2 lemons,add 1 cup of hot water & a couple of sprigs of rosemary;soak overnight.Pout it into a spritz bottle and spray directly on your pet's coat.Be sure to avoid the eyes.

lab13 Guest

Forgot to mention I also bought some citronella plants today for our deck. Maybe that will help all of us avoid the mosquitoes.

If I remember correctly, you're wanting to avoid most chemicals, right? I thought I remembered you saying one of the products made her itchy, maybe I'm mistaken, but if this is the case, you may search for a product from Ark Naturals that's made from neem oil. The neem helps soothe the skin, and it also has citronella and some other natural products that help supposedly repel fleas, ticks, and mosquitos. I tried it, it does nothing for ticks, but it did help with mosquitos. In fact, I spray it on myself when we go walking. Jes is back on Frontline, because he has to have some sort of protection against ticks.

More than likely, you'll have much better luck with the K9 Advantix, but the Ark Naturals may be worth a try if you don't want to use the K9 Advantix.

I also recently saw a natural repellant made by Burt's Bees company. It said it was safe for pets.