my lab died
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: my lab died

Defaultmy lab died

My 8 yo male Lab died tonight and I am so upset and grieving that all I do is cry. He has been fine....played alot of ball yesterday and ate and pooped. about 3pm today, we had a storm and he is so frightened of storms and he was acting strange. Not his usual fear, but cowering and lowering his tail. He didn't want to eat dinner and refused to play with his ball or have a treat which he loves. When my husband came home we tried to figure out his problem and then he vomited, so we thought it was an upset. Our 6th sense told us something was wrong, so we took him to the emergency vet and they did an xray and found a chest tumor that was bleeding. They came out and told us and said that surgery was an option, but these tumors are always malignant and the internal bleeding would never get him through the night. THey said he was having difficulty breathing and an option would be to put him down. I was hysterical and my husband wept.
    When we got to the room, he couldn't even stand. He went peacefully, but this was so sudden and no real warnings. I am so devastated and I do not know if I can get over my grief. HE was never sick and the vet tech...said "just think he never had a bad day"
    He was loved and nurtured and I am so sick over this.. O will it ever get better. I can't imagine going through tomorrow without him.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: my lab died

My thoughts are with you and your husband tonight and the days to come. We too lost a lab suddenly from a tumor that hemorrhaged. The suddenness of it so very hard, you aren't prepared for the grief or loss. I am glad that you were with him, while it was so hard for you it brought him peace. Grief is a process and it will take time; but with time you will find peace again. The first few days were so horrible...give yourself some space and permission to cry. On the one year anniversary of our Lucy's death I wrote her story and posted in The Rainbow Bridge, I found that sharing her life with others helped give me closure. Take care.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a huge shock to you and your husband. Praying for you to have peace and comfort.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

:'( :'( :'(
    I am sorry for your loss.*
    No loss is easy, but to lose your baby suddenly is a shock.* I too lost my Mocha very suddenly.* Allow yourself to grieve. It does take time, but it does get better.
    You and your husband are in my thoughts and prayers.

What an awful tragedy and sudden loss. I'm so so sorry

biscuit is offline Senior Member

Oh my goodness- How so awful for you! I am so so sorry for your loss- it's almost palpable. I hope that you and your husband find some peace in the coming days and monthsover the fact that you spent time in your life with an amazing dog.
    <br />Kristin &amp; Biscuit

so sorry on your sudden loss-prayers of comfort to you and your husband

jzgrlduff is offline Senior Member

OMG, I'm so sorry for your loss :'( :'( Take comfort in the fact that he went quick. He didn't suffer for months on end. I know it's easier said than done, but please try. There is so much support here on this website. You might want to cross post in Lab Chat.

So sorry for you.

"Each is a creature of Earth and is entitled to reside on it with dignity"

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

I'm so sorry. Words are just totally inadequate at a time like this. You are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is always so hard to lose a loved one. I know what you are going through. We had to put our family dog (Maxy- 16 yo) to sleep in January because she had a tumor that we didn't know about that ruptured. Sounds like the same scenario. She was playing fine on Saturday all day, and then Sunday she was acting strange--wouldn't eat, drink, or go out to go to the bathroom....just laid there. We took her to the emergency vet clinic. She had a high fever, so they gave her some meds and told us to keep an eye on her. They didn't take an xray or anything, they just thought that she was sick due to the high fever. The next day was worse, so we had the vet come to our house, and she noticed blood starting to ooze from her anal glands, and that is when she told us that a tumor had most likely ruptured, and due to the fact that she was so old it wouldn't be fair to have her suffer, so we had to put her down. It was definitely a tough decision, but I would not want to live like that. I never thought I would get over it, but time does heal. You will always have your wonderful memories of the good times shared together. I keep thinking that Maxy is definitely in a better place now, pain free, watching over us like she always did!! Hang in there, and again I am so sorry!!! You are in my thoughts and prayers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast