Itchy Skin

Thread: Itchy Skin

DefaultItchy Skin

Hello, I am new to the board and have a question. My yellow lab scratches alot. She has a hot spot on her paw that we cannot get rid of. What advice do any of you have? Is this a common thing with yellow labs?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Itchy Skin

Some itch because the food could be the source.* Some itch* because of environmental issues.* Could be fleas.* The thing on the paw sounds like an ACRAL LICK GRANULOMA.

Here's a couple of things that can help you deal with the immediate problem until you figure out what the source of the issue is:

Apple Cider Vinegar - apply with a cotton ball - diluted - to the hot spot...antibacterial, relieves pain and promote healing (we picked up a bottle of this yesterday for $.77 at Walmart.)

Benadryl - allegic reactions, itching, insect wounds etc - 1 - 2 mg per pound every 8 hours

Epsom Salts - Use 1/2 cup per 1 gallon of water and soak for 5-10 minutes (good luck! ;D) Don't let the dog drink the liquid!!!

Good luck in finding out what is causing the issue!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I agree that there could be many things causing her to scratch a lot.

As was suggested, you need to start ruling out causes to better know how to help her. The very first thing you should make sure of is that she doesn't have fleas. Do you notice her scratching more during the spring, summer or fall? If so, this would suggest she has some kind of allergy.

My Labrador starts scratching badly in the late summer/early fall. We have figured out that it is some allergy to something outside during this time of year and we give her Benadryl to help control the itching. You'd be amazed at how much the Benadryl really helps her!

My vet also first suggested using Oatmeal Shampoo to give her a bath. It is supposed to be the very best kind of shampoo to help dogs with itchy skin... Unfortunately though, we quickly found out that I am allergic to the shampoo... :

If it is a food allergy, your vet will probably suggest that you knock her down to just eating lamb and rice to see if the itching stops. Then you start building the variety of food back up until you can find something that is making her itch. (I don't think this is very common for most dogs.)

Also, you may want to have her checked by a vet for mites. When I first rescued Lexus from the shelter she had a couple hot spots and the vet informed us they were being caused by mites. We recieved a topical cream and some medicine and everything cleared up perfectly.

Bets of luck to you. I hope you find something that works for the two of you!