mild arthritis

Thread: mild arthritis

lab13 Guest

Defaultmild arthritis

Had my two labs at the vet this morning for their annual checkup. The older one needs to have her teeth cleaned but also we mentioned that we noticed that she might be favouring her left side a bit when she goes up and down stairs.

The vet says to try something called Glyco-flex. Has anyone tried it? IT is around $70 a bottle and is made of glucosamine, mussel extract, Methysulfonmethane and manganese. I asked if the glucosamine that we take would be just as good and the vet said that this is better. Well, is that because they sell it!!
    She also said that EFA pills help too which they also sell.

Advice please, what works for labs?? Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: mild arthritis

Glucosamine is glucosamine. So long as you buy a product that is reputable (since it's not regulated by the FDA many supplements skimp on the amounts), it'll be fine. It's good to have the manganese in with it because it helps the assimilation of glucosamine. MSM is also good for pain. I think there are several members here that use Glyco-Flex, and I believe it's a pretty good supplement.

I also believe you can find it cheaper online. Cosequin is another good supplement that has glucosamine, chondroitin, and manganese, but no MSM (but you can buy it separately if you want).

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Yes I have used the Glyco-Flex and actually got better results from it than Cosequin. Try ordering it from petsuppliesdelivered.com. They usually have very good prices on it.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

According to my local orthovet, if your dog is showing symptoms of pain then he/she should be on a glucosamine/chondroitin supplement that includes MSM. Glycoflex III has MSM - I assume that is the one you were asking about. Synovi-G3 is another good supplement that includes MSM.

You could just give your dog a generic human form of glucosamine and that would be somewhat helpful, but if you want the most effective supplement you should take your vet's advice and spring for the "good stuff".

Glyco Flex III - very good stuff. For my arthritic guy I give him both Glyco Flex and Cosequin. One pill of each every day. Go to KV-Vet catalog/online. I think I paid around $35 for 120 pills of the GlycoFlex and the Cosequin slightly more.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

Also another good one to try is Nupro Joint support. Nuproproducts.com I believe is there web site.
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC