What's a good way to give a capsule?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good way to give a capsule?

DefaultWhat's a good way to give a capsule?

Took Tucker to the vet today...licking his paw, and it's reddened. She put him on a med, capsules, for 10 days...thinks it's possibly allergies.

If I wrap it in a small piece of cheese, he eats the cheese and spits out the capsule. Other than pushing into a bit of hot dog, any other suggestions? I held his mouth open today and put it in the back of his mouth, and held his mouth closed, but I hate doing that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: What's a good way to give a capsule?

The best thing I've found is to have two pieces of whatever food you use -- for instance, I used Neura canned meats and put the capsule in the first bite and have the second bite ready.* As soon as the first goes bite goes in, I start to give her the second.* She's so excited at the prospect of more that she swallows really fast.* She hasn't figured this out yet!* ;D

This same principal would work w/ cheese, or whatever ... I used to do it with peanutbutter* or cream cheese and it worked, too.

Let me know if that works for Tucker.

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

This may sound silly. When Brodie was on 6 weeks of antibiotic he got very wise to the method of pills. By the end of the treatment he could eat anything and leave the pill lying on the floor. My brother took a Slim Jim and pushed the capsule inside it. Brodie always ate it pill + all. Now if we say Slim Jim he does a dance.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the suggestions, you guys. Here's what worked this a.m. I took a tiny piece of bread, spread a little p. butter on it, put the capsules on that, and folded it. He ate it right down....capsules stuck to the p. butter; he didn't spit them out. I had tried a small pc. of h. dog..but he ate around it. :-\

He did sit there while chewing, giving me a "what did you do" look. :

Thanks again

Hold the phone.......maybe we have another winning idea!

Slim Jims....we'll adapt 'em a bit.....sell 'em as dispensers. Medicine dispensers for dogs! ;D

Make a fortune!

1scottie2labbies is offline Senior Member

Brodie would be the first dog in line. Dog tested amd mommy approved. Two strong word in his vocab Beggin as in Dog don't know it not Beacon and Slim Jim

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff also spat out the capsule when I tried wrapping a cheese slice or deli meat around it.

Peanut butter is usually a sure fire way for most dogs and it works well for Puff but it's kind of messy for me so for a couple years we've been using Kraft's Phiiladelphia Cream Cheese (Whipped) very successfully. A tub lasts a long time..

I just stick one end of the capsule in it, drag up a big dollop on the end and down the hatch it goes, twice every night, once for fish oil and once for G&C. And when there are any meds, then also for them.

But Labs have their preferences and dislikes just as people do. So you have to experiment to find what works best and most easily for both of you.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

JacobAlthea&Tatum is offline Senior Member

1. Open mouth.
    2. Stick pill down throat.
    3. Close mouth.
    4. Give treat and praise.
    5. Enjoys happy dance. ;D
    I'm Jenn. Keeper of two labs in my home and one forever in my heart.

Throw the ball, damn it!

2nd time trying to stick it down throat....guess I didn't stick it down far enough. He worked it with his tongue to the side of his jaw

So far, the p. butter's working best. Bob, thanks for the tip on cream cheese; I'll remember that one too.

our mutt is EXTREMELY suspicious of pills, will even refuse to eat her subsequent dinner if she finds one being slipped in.
    dawg forbid you should try to put anything down her throat, i have even felt her swallow, a couple times in a row, and let go--then pooh! out came the pill.... :
    chunky peanut butter seems to work best, the chunks confuse the issue.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast