Seizure Like Movement in Head

Thread: Seizure Like Movement in Head

DefaultSeizure Like Movement in Head

Today my 1 1/2 year old yellow lab seemed like he has alittle seizure like thing. He woke up this morning and jump in our bed like he usually does. Then when he was laying there all of a sudden his head started shaking up and down. It was really odd. It ended up stopping once he got up and he seemed fine. I called our vet anyway and they said to monitor it and call if it happened again. So after I got off the phone I went to check on Bo and he was doing it again. So I called the vet back and they told me again to monitor him and if he started foaming at the mouth or if he collapses than to bring him in. He was doing it all morning but when I brough him out it stopped. And he was acting normal the whole time - like it didn't phase him. But it still bothered me because I don't know what caused it and it kept happening this morning whenever he was inside and laying down. So we went to another vet to get a second opinion. Anyway to make a long story short he basically said the same thing...just monitor him since all of his other behaviors were normal. So its later in the day and he started to do it again but than finally fell asleep. Has anyone ever seen this before in their Lab? I'm just concerned because I don't know what's causing it and if it will go away. I'm just hoping someone else out there has seen this....

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Seizure Like Movement in Head

i have seen what appeared to be a full-fledged seizure/stroke in a rescue.. the eyes were rolling in the socketd, the head was bobbling around, he had trouble standing....but the tip-off was, he WAS oriented, not 'out of it''. it is a very common effect of ear infections, particularly deep-pocket ones, the 'gyroscope' we all have gets derailed by the infection. i'm surpeised your vet doesn't know this......

Our dog Tugg is also doing this. We first noticed it a few months ago. He was doing the same thing, just his head shaking. It would only last for a few seconds to a minute and then be over. He acted normally before and after. In fact, the first day he had multiple episodes and finally that early that evening I called our vet. She had us take him to the Emergency Vet (mostly I think because we had lost our first lab due to a sudden illness). They did a blood count and chemistry panel to rule out infection and liver problems. All was fine. They offered us a MRI and neurologist consult but we opted to wait. The testing is so very expensive and he is doing fine. Also, the seizure medicationshave alot of side effect.s So far things have stayed the same; he has a few of these episodes a day at the most. The vet says they are most likely similar to focal seizures in people. Keep in touch with me please as to how you lab is doing and what you find out.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well its comforting to know there is someone else out there that has experienced this. The good news is Bo hasn't had many more of these episodes. Saturday & Sunday he was fine. Nothing. Monday my husband said he thought he had a mild one but after that we didn't see it again. On Friday we were actually researching everything on line. A week ago we had given Bo medicine because he hurt his leg. So the vet prescribed something. After reading about it there were some side effects. I'm wondering if this triggered it. Also Bo had gone in for blood work (we thought he may have eaten a mushroom) and his toxin levels were alittle bit higher than normal. So he is going again this week for a follow up to check his blood again. So for now we are monitoring this to see if it comes back. Did you say that Tugg is on seizure medicine? I'm thinking if this occurs more in Bo we'll have to do the same. I actually think I was more scared than Bo! I will keep you updated on what happens. Thank you for your response.

We decided to not medicate Tugg - there are so many side effects from the meds and the seizures are so short and mild. If they get worse then I would consider it. We too thought maybe had eaten a mushroom or some plant (being a lab everything is considered a food item) but all his blood tests were normal. Keep me posted and good luck!