Question about blockages-with update

Thread: Question about blockages-with update

Suegene is offline Senior Member

DefaultQuestion about blockages-with update

My guy has been a bit lethargic the last day or two.* On Wednesday, he did his happy twirlies, ate dinner fine, and then was a bit sluggish.* Yesterday was definitely more sluggish all around when* Kyle got home.* He threw up in mid afternoon.* I told Kyle to go ahead and feed him because I wanted to make sure he pooped.* He did, with no evident straining.

He ate dinner around 6 pm, and then around midnight, he ralphed up everything he had eaten.* He threw up at least 4 more times, by the end it was just bile.* (fun times, putting your comforter in the washer at 3 am).* He wasnt interested at all in water last night.

For breakfast, I gave him some boiled rice.* He ate it, with gusto.* Unfortunately I have to go to work today, but one of the boys will be home around 2:30 and I am hoping to get home early too to watch him.* He did drink a fair bit of water this AM too.

Is it possible to have a blockage, yet still want to eat?* the other day he had his stolen birthday feast - the box of ho-ho's and hersheys bar.* I am wondering if he got something else that we arent aware of.*

If he is still barfing tonight, I will call the doctor.*

Update: No blockage (whew!) but inflamed intestines and tummy. She thinks he has some plastic and paper in there, so he is on a special high fiber diet for a few days to "move the mail" and we will just watch to make sure he is ok. Poor baby. When I went to pick him up to go to the vet, he so clearly wasnt feeling well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Question about blockages

I've just been though this with one of mine. He actually did have a blockage and had surgery on tuesday. Here is the thread;

https://justlabradors.com/forum/index...ic,5940.0.html

I would take your dog to vets ASAP. Even if he is still eating and pooping there is still a possibility of a partial blockage. If your vet takes his temperature and it is high it may just be an illness in which case you should get some meds. If there is no temperature and the dog is still throwing up, you have a problem.

Thanks. I had read through that thread and that was my gut feeling - that perhaps I needed to look into this a little deeper. I am going to call vet now and see if I can get an appt in the AM or late PM today.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

yeah I would definately get it checked out. Hopefully it's just from the chocolate he ate and he'll be fine.

I called the vet, described the situation.....ran home and dropped him off for observation. They don't like the fact that the food that was barfed up was undigested after 5 hours.....but said it might just be the chocolate.

I feel like I did the right thing - even if there is no chocolate and he gets an unnecessary xray, still the right thing to do!