Kennel Cough - Shot or Intranasal
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kennel Cough - Shot or Intranasal

DefaultKennel Cough - Shot or Intranasal

Well, I've kind of put off having the Kennel Cough/Bordatella vaccine up to now being as there seems to be such a mixed opinion on whether* it's worth bothering with.* It certainly doesn't sound like any guarantee that your dog won't get KC anyway with the other strains around.* Thing is that our local boarding kennels require it so we pretty much have to get it if we ever want to go anywhere.

Next dilemma is whether to have the "injection" or the "intranasal" type vaccine.* I think my Vet prefers the injection, but then I was reading on another site where someone said the intranasal one was safer. ???
    She's also due for rabies vaccine and her regular vaccines and I'm trying to space everything out so it's not overwhelming.* Opinions on the different KC vaccine methods etc. appreciated.* * *

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Kennel Cough - Shot or Intranasal

Sorry, don't know much about the two different methods. All I know is that my vet will give the nasal to a puppy who is recieving it for the first time. 3 weeks later it will get the shot. Adults (even thoses who've never had it before) always get an injection. Don't know if that helps at all :-\

Just to clarify....my Vet (I believe) has both methods available. I'm not sure why he prefers the injection as I haven't asked him yet. Could be because the injection is easier than shooting it into their nose. I'll ask him when I go in but wanted to get other opinions prior to that.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

We give our fosters the inter nasal. I prefer Rider to get the injection...why? I dunno.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Jes had the intranasal version as a pup, but I don't know much about the differences (if there are any). I don't do that vaccine anymore, and that was the only KC vaccine he's ever had. The only concern is that he had quite a mighty sneeze afterwards, and I always wondered how much of the vaccine he sneezed all over my dashboard...which coincidentally has not had KC ever since.

Well the theory of the person on the other forum that was discussing the KC vaccines was that the intranasal was safer because that is how a dog would contract KC in real life (through it's nose)....whereas the injection bombarded the dogs system via the blood stream which is not a natural way to contract it and overpowering to the dog's immune system.* (Note: this is not word for word what was said, but is the basic gist of what this person wrote on the other forum)* It kind of makes sense, but then you could say the same about any of the vaccinations and as far as I know KC is the only one than can be done any other way.

Eh, either way kennel cough is kind of a wuss in the doggy disease world as it is. Sure, you need to treat and all, but for a healthy dog it's rarely a deadly threat. At least that's what I've been told.

When my dogs got them; they got the intranasal. That's also what we gave our rescue dogs.

I think that the intranasal might work faster. Not sure, but I know when I asked about the "shot" they told me it can take up to 3 weeks to be effective. So possibly one reason for using the intranasal might be that it works faster. Just guessing though. I'll ask my Vet when we go in. I just thought that there might be some strong opinions on the forum regarding which one to use and why. Thanks for your responses so far. I'm not getting it done until tomorrow, so I'll check back again in case anyone else posts.

Intranasal works in 72 hours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast