IAMS weight control large breed

Thread: IAMS weight control large breed

DefaultIAMS weight control large breed

We have a yellow and a chocolate lab. After the birth of our newest child, both dogs gained quite a bit of weight. We are trying to help them lose weight and had been feeding Kirkland lamb and rice, in reduced quantity, plus green beans. The vet suggested going with a weight reduction food instead though. Both dogs have allergy problems, one takes prednisone twice a week. We decided to try IAMS weight control large breed food to help them out. Does this sound reasonable? I am by no means an expert when it comes to canine nutrition, and I know there are better quality foods out there, but this is what is in our price range.

Opinions?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: IAMS weight control large breed

Hmmm I tried to post but it said I already did...huh?? ???

anyway..avoid this food..just keep doing what you're doing and up their excerise a bit.

This is what's in the regular Iams WC. Look at those first three ingredients...yucko!

Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Fish Meal, Chicken, Dried Beet Pulp (Sugar Removed), Chicken Fat (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Ground Whole Grain Barley, Natural Chicken Flavor, Dried Egg Product, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Flax Meal, Sodium Hexametaphosphate, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (Source of Vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (Source of Vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Source of Vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), DL-Methionine, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Fish Oil (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Choline Chloride, L-Carnitine, Rosemary Extract

Nutro Natural Choice Large Breed Adult Lamb Meal & Rice Formula. For more information on this food, check out this site : http://www.nutroproducts.com/ncdoglbadultlr.asp

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

If reducing proportions and adding green beans (not too many, right?) isn't helping, then up the exercise. I know that's going to be difficult with a little one, but my toddler is always up for a stroller ride, so I'm sure your little one wouldn't mind the walk twice over so you can get both dogs out

Really, Iams is really a very mediocre food. Not to say it's poison, some dogs do well on it, but the kirkland brand is better (ingredient wise) and cheaper. Stick with it and make sure you are not feeding too much of it. Roxy is about 53lbs and gets 2 cups total a day, and I'm starting to wonder if I'm seeing a little pudge on her

Weight management foods tend to be very heavy on fillers and will ruin your labs' coat. Seems to me there's always a better alternative than that.

If you absolutely cannot up the exercise, and dramatically reducing the calories isn't working, I would give the food a try only after a thyroid panel is performed. Unless your dog is getting zero exercise, I would be concerned that there may be other problems that are affecting his metabolism. Am I correct in assuming that you're just beginning the "green bean" diet? If you did just start, I'd give it some time before testing his thyroid and changing foods...it may work.

However, if reducing the calories doesn't work, then I'd want to make sure his thryoid is okay...and if it is, then I'd try the food. Obesity is by far more detrimental to his health than the Iams WC.

The dogs went from getting 2 short walks daily, to one long walk every other day. We do a lot of fetch and chase in the yard, and they are always running after each other. The chocolate gained weight faster than the yellow so we cut his food back first and added the green beans (this was in February) and he's doing better. The yellow we kept the same, but now he's heavy too...just gained slower than the chocolate. We have been doing the smaller portion/added beans with him for about 1 month and haven't seen much difference. We bought the weight control food on the vet's advice. We'll give the one bag a try, if it doesn't work we'll stick with Kirkland. Sure is a lot cheaper.

Oh, okay, so there are two of them...I'm a bit slow. Yeah, I'd say the chances of both dogs having a thyroid problem are incredibly remote, so I'd skip that suggestion.

Your only option with weight loss is consuming more calories than you ingest. So if cutting the calories aren't working, you really are only left with upping the exercise. I'd shy away from the weight loss diets unless it's a last ditch effort.

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

I agree with others suggestions. I would definitely up the exercise if at all possible. If a dog's metabolism works similar to a humans, if you rely on lowering the calories alone you may wind up actually lowering the metabolism in the long run, which will make them gain even more weight.

Weight loss is always more effective if you increase exercise along with a decrease in cals. That keeps the metabolism up. You probably want to make sure your food has good quality protein like others have said. It takes more energy to digest protein than fat or carbs. Every little bit helps!