Lymphoma

Thread: Lymphoma

DefaultLymphoma

I have a 5 year old Lab that has been diagnosed with Lymphoma. Has any one else been down this road and could you give me some advice.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Lymphoma

I lost my beloved Coal (lab/newf x) 3 years ago after 11 months of treatment. I would treat again without hesitation. He had 10 1/2 good months and just had several days here and there when he felt bad. The chemo was expensive but as I said, I would do it again in a heartbeat. Coal was nearly 10 when diagnosed. You have to decide whether treatment is something you can do, financially as well as emotionally and if you decide to treat, the sooner you get started the better. There was a dog that was diagnosed several months before my Coal that just recently passed away and not from the Lymphoma. So there are dogs that survive way past the prognosis time but generally the Vets will tell you that untreated lymphoma gives a life expectancy of 4-6 weeks and treated 9months to 2 years. It is a difficult decision, do what you feel is the best for your pet and your family.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Depending on the type of lymphoma, it is by far one of the "best" kinds of malignant cancers to have because it tends to respond so favorably to chemotherapy. One of my friends had a dog treated through an oncologist for lymphoma almost 6 years ago. They recently put him to sleep at age 12 because of a seizure disorder where they couldn't stop the severe seizures regardless of the medications. Don't know if they were related, but that was 6 years after his initial treatment for lymphoma and remission.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

To Add: I hope Labby reads this...she has a great link for a research oncologist who is having great success at an investigational study treatment for lymphoma in the Pacific NW, I think.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon