Dragging butt, not drinking much water...

Thread: Dragging butt, not drinking much water...

DefaultDragging butt, not drinking much water...

Hello,

I was a regular poster on this board a few years ago and have really missed you guys...always so helpful and knowlegable.

Sam will eat anything. I've never seen anything like it.* I try very hard to keep all non dog food items out of his reach, but night before last, he drug a box of chicken wings (small from Wingstop) and ate all of them.*
    Yesterday he was dragged his butt once and didn't poop last night.* He pooped this morning and also ate -- seems happy, but I haven't seen him drink anything. He hasn't dragged his butt since just that one time.

I would love any suggestions.......

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

rexduke Guest

DefaultRe: Dragging butt, not drinking much water...

is he peeing? does he cry when he poops?
    Sorry I don't have any answers.
    I don't now how to MAKE a dog drink.
    8)

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

When I need to get my old girl to drink something I add a little of the canned chicken broth to her water (about 1/2 & 1/2). I have never had this not work. In fact she growls at any of the other dogs who come near her!
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Poop patrol time...lol When he went this morning did he pass any of the bones? I would watch for them hopefully they will pass without help. I think the broth idea sounds like a good one to try. Also watch for any signs of a blockage.

Thanks so much for your responses!!

I went ahead and took him to the vet this afternoon.* He had x-rays and there is no blockage.* Thank goodness!* That's the good news! The not so great news is that he was very fussy and wouldn't let me muzzle him so they had to give him a sedative and $319 later -- nothing's wrong!* But...I'm focusing on the positive - no blockage.* But still wondering...why isn't he drinking?* I'm definately doing the broth.*

Thanks again!
    Laura

did they check him for worms? because butt-dragging is a classic symptom for either worms or blocked anal glands. and no, a standard worm test does NOT check for whipworms or tapeworms.......
    i would start by giving his water dish a good hot-water-and-dish-soap cleaning, and thorough rinsing, then try cool water. when hot weather starts, dog-dish water can get yucky in just about no time.

Thanks for your response! He's been on Interceptor which prevents heartworm and other worms, but I don't know if it includes whip worms, do you??? Hmmmm...... he hasn't dragged his butt since the one time. He just did it once. Do you think I should follow up on that? He's doing great today. I did the broth and it worked beautifully! Thanks for the tip -- I told my husband you guys have saved us lots of $$ in vet bills.

Thanks again!
    Laura

could just have had an itchy butt! maybe passing a little grass, too--this time of year, i wonder if i need a Border Collie to round up those black hairy ''Cows'' out back......