black lab with red rash on belly and ears eyes are white bumps around them
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: black lab with red rash on belly and ears eyes are white bumps around them

Defaultblack lab with red rash on belly and ears eyes are white bumps around them

hi again
    I was hoping i could get a answer to help my 8 month old black lab. He has broken out around his eyes, it looks like white bumps completely around them. His stomach is red pimples and his ears feel bumpy. I changed his diet a month ago. Do you think this could be the problem? I think i will go back to his puppy food. He never had a problem with it.
    He was to see the vet, she thought it was sensitivity to black flies. I don't. She gave him a antibotic and prodisone. This never helped abit. Does anyone have any suggestions.

I want my baby to be healthy again. Please respond if you think of anything that may help!!!

harley-tam ???

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: black lab with red rash on belly and ears eyes are white bumps around them

I don't know what it could be sorry but I would get him to another vet. If the antibiotic and predisone didn't help at all they need to do some more testing and find out what is causing it.

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: black lab with red rash on belly and ears eyes are white bumps around them

I have never seen puppy strangles but this is what comes to my mind, perhaps some of the breeders can help. If I remember correctly this is usually something that happens to younger pups. Maybe a possibility??
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Put one tablespoon of either corn, sunflower, or safflower oil in his food each day. Be sure he is getting enough zinc and get him to another vet.

Crushing up one adult human vitamin pill and putting that in his food should help the zinc, but do this only temporarily unitl you get good/vet help.

Morgan with Lya and Friend Rocco

Quote Originally Posted by harley-tam
    hi again
    I was hoping i could get a answer to help my 8 month old black lab.* He has broken out around his eyes, it looks like white bumps completely around them.* His stomach is red pimples and his ears feel bumpy.* I changed his diet a month ago.* Do you think this could be the problem?* I think i will go back to his puppy food.* He never had a problem with it.
    He was to see the vet, she thought it was sensitivity to black flies.* I don't.* She gave him a antibotic and prodisone.* This never helped abit.* Does anyone have any suggestions.

I want my baby to be healthy again.* Please respond if you think of anything that may help!!!

harley-tam ???
    I had a puppy that had that. I think it is a Staph infection and related to a poor immune system. It came over night. Antibiotics didn't work. What actually happened was one of my puppy buyers had a father that was a vet and he said let me know if you can't cure it. He tried a drug he hadn't used before called Immuno Regulin. http://www.revivalanimal.com/product.asp?pn=31%2D020 and he had to administer the drug for about 3 weeks and she was cured-forever.

wow this is a great help field lover, anything else you did to help or just the medication. I put him backonto his puppy food until i get him to see a new vet. At what age did this start with your puppy? and is is hereditary?

Thanks again
    harley-tam

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Puff has gotten the red bumps on her belly; they gradually morph to dark blotches (scabs but not raised) that look like dried mud.

Our vets at Kansas State's CollVetMed Tchng hospital tested (took a scraping) it and diagosed it as staph infection. It cleared up with a 21 day course of cephalexin but returned soon again.

Finally, I asked that the dermatologist look at her. She asked a lot of questions and decided that on our every morning walks, Puff's belly got wet from the dew and picked up pollen from running in the fields. She thought both the wetness and the pollen together caused it. She prescribed a medicated shampoo ("Benzoyl Plus") which is lathered on, allowed to remain 10 minutes, and then flushed off. Daily when affected; 3X a week prophylactically.

Works well for us.

Re: the white bumps around the eyes and bumps on the ear, see another vet.

Remember, about half the vets are below average in skill and half above. Find one who's above.

Do you have a CollVetMed or SchlVetMed available? I find they're the best place for us.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

wow, thanks for tha info Bob Pr,
    that on the belly with the red rash is just like my harley's. I find that they have a black scab afterward. When I got home from work today, Harley's belly was really broke out, and his eye blotches had turned red and some were oozing blood. I think because he is scratching them. I phone his vet again and she still thought it was an allergy to black fly bites. I don't think so i think he has an allergy but can't pin point it. I'm giving it till monday on his same meds than taking him to the doctor again. Thanks for all the info and if you can think of anything else please let me know. I want a healthy puppy again.

thanks, tam

wow this is a great help field lover, anything else you did to help or just the medication. I put him backonto his puppy food until i get him to see a new vet. At what age did this start with your puppy? and is is hereditary?
    Using this medication would be a last ditch effort because it is expensive and the vet has to do administer it. I worked out a swap for a future puppy. She was also put on special shampoos and omega 3 fatty acids. Before going that route, I would give some fatty acids or good quality cod liver oil like Nordic Naturals with the impurities at a minimum. You might want to try Pro Plan sensitive and try to get nature to rectify the problem. The puppy was about 6 weeks old and had bumps all over, ears, tail everywhere. It was the only one out of 10 pups and I think she just was born with a poor immune system. I kept her for 6 months and she was placed and spayed later. There is a product called Zymox shampoo and rinse, Malaseb works or the one Bob recommended. If the dog is having problems with fly bites, keep her inside or use a natural repellant. It may be a spring allergy initiating the problems.

Hi everyone,
    just thought i would report that Harley seems to be doing much better. I still don't know if it was from fly bites or from his food because i changed his food about 1 week ago. He is still on his meds but his eyes are much better. Just want to thank everyone for all their help. Harley and I are very thankful
    from Harley tam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast