False Pregnancy - not a Lab

Thread: False Pregnancy - not a Lab

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

DefaultFalse Pregnancy - not a Lab

My JRT went into a false pregnancy when she was about 8 months old.* She is now 4 years old. It was a sad sight to see -- little squeaky toys all being guarded on the pillows on my bed.* Poor Reba, the lab, didn't even dare to enter the doorway.* * Knowing nothing about breeding dogs I called the breeder.* *She told me to have her spayed immediately.

On hindsight, I think maybe that was a bad idea.* * It was a horrific spay job with an incision almost the length of her tummy.* The vet said it was a difficult job because of the extra mammary blood vessels, etc.* *Then to top it off, I brought her home on a Saturday and she was not acting well.* *Took her back to the vet on Monday and she had something like mastitis.* *What a poor miserable little dog.

I sometimes think that they did not get everything on the spay job and am wondering just how or if we could test for hormones in the blood of something.* *She will sometimes act like she is in heat.* *Just an uncomfortable feeling/pain that will make her hide under the bed.* *She will get flirty with Reba and then snap at her.* *She will try to hump Reba -- usually her head!* If she is having heat cycles, what will be the timing of those cycles?* *Every 6 months?* *

I have often felt guilty about not getting her spayed before all this happened.* But have been reading the articles against early spaying and maybe feel better about the delay.* * She was purchased as pet quality and we never intended to breed her; the contract would not allow it.

Does anyone have any comments on false pregnancies?* *What causes them?* *Would she have eventually 'weaned' her litter and gone back to normal?* *Or did I really have no choice but to spay her before things got worse?

Just kicking myself....

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno, the JRT
    Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: False Pregnancy - not a Lab

I went through the exact same thing with a foster jrt I had for a while. She went through a full blown false pregnancy...got milk in and collected all the stuffed toys and kept them in her crate. I did wait until she came completely out of it before spaying her and she did "return to normal".

I'm not sure what causes them...it sure makes you feel sorry for them though

RebaHalle is offline Senior Member

It was very sad.* She would move her 'litter' from the bed to the sofa, and back again.* *

Unfortunately, she is going thru a cycle right now.* *Wish I could do something for her.* *I wish I could find a really good vet to figure it out.

Judy, mom to Reba, the Lab, and Jalapeno (Halle), the JRT

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I'm sorry she's going through this it's horrible to watch them uncomfortable and not be able to anything about it. There was someone on here not long ago that had to have their dog spayed a second time because they missed some the first time. Here is the thread
    https://justlabradors.com/forum/index...ic,1924.0.html
    I would have a different vet check out out now while she's in the "heat" or whatevery it is.