Inhalant Allergies - long

Thread: Inhalant Allergies - long

DefaultInhalant Allergies - long

Bailey has been diagnosed with inhalant allergies and last year she's been diagnosed also with food allergies to most of the grains and diary intolerance. Last year we had switched her food from Euk to Nutro L&R and she was and still is doing great on it, great coat, her poop is firm, no more loose stools and vomiting like she had on Euk, no more ear problems and all the itching had stopped until spring began and she started to lick her feet and private parts which are of a brownish colour and chew on her paws.

She is currently on 15mg of prednisolone a day for 10 days and after our vet wants to put her on a prescription diet which we think is Hill's Z/D since he sells them, anyway after hearing alot of things about Hill's last year we managed to avoid the Hill's and found an alternative from a very limited selection that we have in this country and we switched to Nutro L&R.

My question is this can we leave her on Nutro L&R and maybe give Benadryl, since these allergies appeared in Spring or shall we give her Z/D for a couple of months as suggested by the vet and maybe either return to Nutro L&R if possible or hopefully be able to find another food. I would rather leave her on Nutro L&R since this food really works for her, I don't think that the food has anything to do with her allergy.

Sorry it's long, but I'm trying my best to avoid the prescription diet and would like to know and to do what's best for Bailey

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Inhalant Allergies - long

Personally I would try to keep her on the Nutro L&R and give benedryl (or whatever the vet prefers) as needed and wait out the spring and see if it gets better. Some dogs have seasonal allergies from the pollen and such and I doubt switching the food would help any and it may make it worse since you know she's allergic to some food products and don't know how she will react on a different food.
    Just my opinion though
    I hope he gets to feeling better

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

If she is doing well on the food and the itching seems to be only seasonal, then changing the food isn't going to help. We give benadryl to Raven every day during her "allergy season". The vet said there is no problem with this. We give a very low dose (by our choice) and it works for her. We give only 1 (25mg) pill 3 times a day. The actual dose for her weight would be 3 pills at a time as opposed to the one. I would try that and see if it helps.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Inhalant Allergies - Update

Thanks for your replies, just a small update of what happened since our first visit to the vet and this thread:

We have been back to the vet last Monday because from the first visit Bailey developed an urinary incontinence, as soon as she lies down to sleep or rest, we would see a small puddle just underneath her thigh. Our vet has still to determine if this incontinence is due to her being spayed a year and a half ago or the prednisolone due to inhalant allergies, unfortunately we can't stop the prednisolone which we are half way through and from today she'll start getting 1 daily for another 10 days and then 1 every other day for another 10 days, anyway I have researched the side-effects of the prednisolone and two of them are the exessive thirst and the incontinency (which I'm really hoping the prednisolone are to blame and this nightmare to be over once we are done with them).

Our vet gave us a medicine called Propalin for her incontinence since it got really bad and the incontinence has stopped since the first time we gave her the syrup, which is really good, but I read that she could get dependant on, and that she'll need the Propalin all her life.

Is there anyone who maybe had the same experience or somehow similiar, do you think it is safe to stop this medicine and wait till we finish the prednisolone and see if the problems continues or is there anything else I can do, Bailey is getting to much medicine and she really looks miserable.

Anyone has any experience or advise please, thanks

Guinness has inhalant allergies as well... He was also on Nutro L&R. The vet prescribed him prednisone starting with a high dose & gradually decreasing it over a few weeks... He always improved while on the prednisone.. but declined again as soon as he went off it. Benadryl didn't work for him... it just made him tired... The vet suggested that we try a prescription of Vanectyl and a fish based food. He has been on the pills for over a month now... and his allergies don't seem to be bothering him very much @ all.... We also switched him over to ProPlan S&S which has seemed to help quite a bit as well....

First of all Hills makes better prescription diets than regular OTC diets. It's too bad the dog went on pred and he didn't try benadryl. You might as well go on the prescription diet for the summer and try and go off it in the Fall. The idea is to relieve her of as many allergens as you can so her immune system can recover. I would add Omega 3 fatty acids to her diet. Did the dog have spring shots right before the current problems started? Shots depress the immunity for several weeks.

No she didn't get any Spring Shots, well I just found the benadryl a week ago in a drug store, it's a new product in Malta, but I intend to start her on benadryl as soon as the prednisolone are finished which will be in another 3 weeks. We do give her fish oil capsules, she gets 2 in the morning and 1 in the evening and the itching has gone down alot.

That's what I thought too, if the vet insists on the prescription diet, I feed her Hills for the summer and than will try to change back to Nutro for winter. I spoke to the vet on Friday evening and he said that he wants to see her again as soon as the prednisolone is finished and he'll decide what to do.