Giardia and/or coccida...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giardia and/or coccida...

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

DefaultGiardia and/or coccida...

how do you tell the difference between the two?
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Giardia and/or coccida...

I'm no expert, but I believe they are both organisms that cause loose stools and gas. Since the symptoms are the same, I would assume that your vet could tell via a stool sample, although I know from personal experience that Giardia cysts don't show up in every sample. I don't know if that's true of Coccidia or not. I think (but again not sure) that Coccidia is more common in puppies than adults.

labby is offline Senior Member

Only a fecal check will tell the difference.

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Both Coccidia and Giardia are protozoan pathogens that cause the same types of symptoms, and both are contracted the fecal oral route. The only definitive way to distinguish the two is by examining a fecal sample under the microscope. Both are also very contagious, and Coccidia is deadly, so early treatment is the best plan.

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

I agree with Labby- only a fecal examination (under the microscope) can tell the difference. Giardia is easily missed by the majority of veterinarians, but there is no mistaking coccidia- it is pretty darned obvious to anyone who has looked through a microscope if it is enough of an infection to cause diarrhea. In humans (well, some animals, too), giardia is also known for causing sulfur-smelling gas (belches and farts).

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

Labs4me is offline Senior Member

I knew that you could tell with a fecal, we have had several and still come up with nothing. Something is going on because more than one of my dogs have "the poops" and there has been no new treats, ect. Now I am wondering if they have been tasting some dead baby birds...The poor things have been dropping like flies around here. (I mean falling out of nests... I can't tell you how many I have found under the trees, ect.) The other possibility is sampling of goose droppings, which I have seen them do. YUCK!
    Bonnie ~ Ellsworth Labradors
    Home to Ellsworth's Playing For Keeps CGC, U-CH SHR Ellsorth's Absolut Pleasure, Ellsworth's Good Luck Charm
    Gone but not forgotten: Franklin's Lucy of Ellsworth; Franklin's Rare Treat; U-CD Franklin's Rockin' Robin CDX, WC, CGC; Alpha-Omega's Mustang Salli CDX, CGC

Giardia is easily missed by the majority of veterinarians
    This does not have anything to do with the expertise of the fecal examiner, it has to do with the beast itself and how it lives and multiplies.

"The Giardia trophozoite, which is the active stage of the organism, inhabits the small intestine of the dog. It attaches to the cells of the intestine with its adhesive disc and rapidly divides to produce a whole population of trophozoites. As they detach they may be swept down the intestine. If intestinal flow is fast then they may appear in the faeces. However, if they have time, they will develop into the inactive, more durable, cyst form of the organism and these will be passed in the faeces."

It is sometimes easier just to treat for Giardia than try to find it in the feces; however, eating stuff in the yard in the summer can cause a loose stool. Giardia stools smell really bad for one.
    I would give the dogs some probiotic and pumpkin and see if they straighten out before treating, although they can pick Gisrdia up from stream or even a puddle.

Dani is offline Senior Member

For my dogs symptom wise, cocidia was more loose stool. Giardia gave the explosive splatters and even resulted in potty trained dogs to resort to going inside because of the frequency of the need to go. Also, there is something about the odor of the gas when Rider has giardia.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

CaliforniaLabLover is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by FieldLabLover
    Giardia is easily missed by the majority of veterinarians
    This does not have anything to do with the expertise of the fecal examiner, it has to do with the beast itself and how it lives and multiplies.
    Also with the techniques used for fecal exams.

Quote Originally Posted by Labs4me
    Something is going on because more than one of my dogs have "the poops" and there has been no new treats, ect. Now I am wondering if they have been tasting some dead baby birds...The poor things have been dropping like flies around here. (I mean falling out of nests... I can't tell you how many I have found under the trees, ect.) The other possibility is sampling of goose droppings, which I have seen them do. YUCK!
    If there wasn't any coccidia seen under the microscope, then it was not coccidia. In order to be severe enough to cause clinical signs, there will be a lot of coccidia found in the stool.

Birds carry giardia so you may be onto something with the goose poop thought. You may consider, as well, having your vet run a giardia elisa test- it comes in an "in-house snap kit" test that takes all of 7 minutes to run. I believe most veterinarians now carry that in their hospitals. Pretty accurate, even for animals other than dogs.

~Julie, Rogue, Monty, and Eddy~

"The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his tongue." -Anon

So is the test for Giardia routinely done at the first puppy exam? We had Lindy in for her visit on Sat. and he tested for parasites and said she was clear. She has had bouts of diarrhea off and on all week. Last night she vomited and had diarrhea in her crate in the middle of the night. I'm trying to figure out what's causing that. We haven't changed her food, we are using tap water. We thought maybe it was the initial getting use to her new home but now I'm wondering.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast