Mouthing Paws...

Thread: Mouthing Paws...

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultMouthing Paws...

How much is "normal" and when is it a problem?

Ender is nearly 5 months old now and consistently mouths his front paws usually. He doesn't really go at it with zest but it does seem to be an all day thing... meaning I notice it in the mornings and periodically throughout the day.

I haven't noticed his paws/legs looking irritated or hair missing or anything like that. So I'm assuming that this is "normal" like me scratching my back all the time.
    ~Lindsay

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Mouthing Paws...

Hmmm...hard to tell; maybe it's normal for him, maybe not. Tucker did that some months ago, licking front paws. His paws were red in the webbing. We (vet and us) suspected allergies, but they said at a young age, a dog has to go through a few seasons sometimes to see if it's food or environmental. We switched his food, and it stopped.

Better check with your vet, Bailey started licking and mouthing her paws about a month ago, last week we went to our vet and he confirmed inhalant allergies, she's now on Prednisolone for a few days and then we will need to change her food again, she'll be on a prescription diet hopefully for a few months and then in the meantime we can look into some other food.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

Gaaa... I cannot switch his food... his digestive stuff FINALLY settled down enough where I'm happy... I guess I'll just watch his paws closely and try to pay attention more on how much he actually does it.
    ~Lindsay

Quote Originally Posted by mybailey
    Better check with your vet, Bailey started licking and mouthing her paws about a month ago, last week we went to our vet and he confirmed inhalant allergies, she's now on Prednisolone for a few days and then we will need to change her food again, she'll be on a prescription diet hopefully for a few months and then in the meantime we can look into some other food.
    did you steal my TinaLouise? are dogs seem identical!

Mocha licks hers off and on but normally just cleaning them. If they are not red at all I would just watch them.