Blockages
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blockages

Trickster is offline Senior Member

DefaultBlockages

It seems to be one thing after another at our house. :

I'm pretty sure Murphy has a blockage. He threw up Saturday night and again on sunday. He hasn't touched his food or drank anything since sunday morning. I figured it was just a bout of sickness that would pass within 24 hours. Woke up this morning (Monday) thinking it would have passed. I offered him some kibble and he didn't touch it. Phoned the vet and got an appointment. Vet checked him over --he doesn't have a temperature which would suggest its not sickness. He also said he couldn't feel a blockage?? I've got an appointment for tommorrow morning. If he is still not eating or drinking he will be kept in for X-Rays.

Any ideas/experience? If it is a blockage, what is the recovery time after surgery? I'm just a little clueless about this whole thing. Murph is not in pain. He is just resting. I have seen him pee but not poop. I am trying to think if he ate anything on Saturday (I was with them the whole day) but there was nothing out of the ordinary. `

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

dogmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Blockages

Why are they waiting to do xrays? Blockages are life threatening.

ThatsMyGirl Guest

I have to agree w/ Dogmom on this one. When Sami was so sick a couple of weeks ago (vomiting, diarrhea, lethargic), they were very concerned about a blockage. The vet kept her for the day and she had x-rays in the morning and evening. Thankfully, it was nothing other than garbage gut, I guess. And I hope the same proves true for Murphy.

I'd be especially concerned about him not drinking anything.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Why are they waiting to do xrays?
    That's my concern. The vet gave him some shots and said wait until morning. He couldn't feel a blockage, but he doesn't have a temperature? infact the vet, rather worryingly, didn't sound overly concerned. What I don't understand is if its not one of those (blockage not ruled out) what the heck is it? he hasn't thrown up since sunday afternoon if that helps. Still not eating or drinking.

I would take him to another vet. If he's not drinking he will get dehydrated in a hurry which can be life threatening by it's self and make surgery more risky if he does have a blockage. I would definatley get him somewhere else now or take him back and demand x-rays now. Are his gums nice and pink? If they start to turn pale that's dehydration.

Are his gums nice and pink?* If they start to turn pale that's dehydration
    Actually, the gums get sticky if they are dehydrated, pale if they are anemic. I just had one of each-a blockage and upset gut. The blockage was first. The symptoms were the same as the gut ache. Throwing up a large amount of water several times, wouldn't take treats. I didn't take the temp but took him in right away and they could feel the blockage-one shedded chore glove caught between the stomach and intestine. The 2nd one was a few weeks later in a different dog. Slight temp 102.9, very lethargic, throwing up, wouldn't eat. Weekend and vet was out of town so I talked to the vet on call. I gave him oral electrolytes and he was fine and in an hour popped out of it and ate. Had him examined Monday and it must have been a bad stomach. If he gets any worse, more lethargic,* or starts throwing up again get into an emergency vet. The longer you wait, the worse the the dead tissue and the more complicated the recovery. My guy was 20 months old and stayed at the vets for a day and was fine. The gut ache one actually seemed more ill. It's difficult to tell.

Took him to the vets and he staying for x-rays and bloodwork. Had two other vets check him out. No temp or obvious obstructions. They said they would ring this afternoon. Hoping it is nothing serious. :-\

ThatsMyGirl Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trickster
    Took him to the vets and he staying for x-rays and bloodwork. Had two other vets check him out. No temp or obvious obstructions. They said they would ring this afternoon. Hoping it is nothing serious.* :-\
    Keep us posted. I'm praying that everything turns out okay!

Vet just phoned. Its a blockage. Something metallic apparently. :-\ He is having surgery this afternoon. Argh. WHY Murphy!!?? out of all my dogs he is the best behaved. No trouble at all.

What is the recovery time for surgery like this? how long will he be out of action for?

I'm praying that everything turns out okay!
    Thank you for your good thoughts.

ruff n tumble crew is offline Senior Member

Good thoughts for a speedy recovery headed Murphy's way. Keep us updated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast