Ears?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ears?

DefaultEars?

Magnum has an ear infection. What can I use until I can get him to the vets on Tuesday due to the holiday here tommorrow.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: Ears?

the magic purple ear solution. I'm not sure about the exactly ratios, but it involves gentian violet, rubbing alcohol, and boric acid. It's a beautiful cure for gross ears!

Anybody know about the purple ears stuff and where I can get it?

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

It's a homemade deal. You'll probably have to ask your local pharmacist for the gentian violet, and they may or may not have it on hand. My Wal-Mart pharmacy had it within a day. It's a tiny bottle that cost about $3.

The boric acid is also inexpensive, and can be found in the general first-aid area of pharmacies.

If someone doesn't have the exact proportions up here by morning, I'll ask my mom and get back to you. It's a GREAT solution to keep on hand for cleaning ears and getting rid of funky smells and gunk.

i found somewhere else on this site to use 1Tbl vinegar, 1Tbl. rubbing alcohol and 1/2Tbl. water.* soak cotton balls in solution and place in dogs ears.* rub your dogs ears with the cotton balls still in place.* remove cotton and allow your dog to shake.* take a dry cotton ball and clean out their ears.* seems to work well to remove all the gunk.* good luck.

Here is the purple ear solution if you still need it

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/ears.html
    There is a recipe and place to buy it premixed

Guinness seems to have some sort of infection as well... so I'm gonna give the solution a try as well I think... Does anyone know if this is effective for treating ear infections or to be used as a preventative?

How can you tell if they have an ear infection? Rocky has some reddish gunk in his left ear and what looks like some inflammation. He is not rubbing it or showing any signs of irritation. Should I use the water, vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution to clean his ear and then see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by duckbnot
    How can you tell if they have an ear infection? Rocky has some reddish gunk in his left ear and what looks like some inflammation. He is not rubbing it or showing any signs of irritation. Should I use the water, vinegar and rubbing alcohol solution to clean his ear and then see what happens?
    Bosco's has the same problem in his left ear, he has been on vet meds for the inflammation. He's had that since he was a young puppy (10 weeks). I clean his ear 3 times a week. I spoke with the vet and she told me it could be allergies. But he would have to get tested. So about 2 1/2 months ago I changed his food to Nutro Lamb & Rice (also his treats do not have wheat or corn in the ingredients) and his ear hasn't been red inside for a while. But it still is dirty. He is not rubbing it or showing any signs of irritation. But he doesn't like me to clean it, I have a hard time keeping him still. Right now i'm cleaning his ear with a vet ear solution, should I try the purple ear solution?

rayofsun is offline Senior Member

The purple ear stuff is great. Just be careful because it stains. We made our own and use it when Raven's ears get bad. We just drop it in with a dropper. It should help to dry out the ear and get the gross stuff out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast