Sami will soon be 11 months old and no signs of her first heat. I will be traveling with her within the next month and we'll be staying w/ my parents who have an unneutured male (show dog) of another breed. Obviously, if Sami goes into heat before we leave, I will change my vacation plans. If she goes into heat during our vacation, I will cut it short. However, I still have these questions:
(1) How long do the signs (swollen vulva) appear before the actual cycle begins?
(2) Are there always signs that a heat cycle is impending?
Is there anything else I should know? By the way, if it's based on genetics, then Sami may not go into heat until 14 months or later, like her mom and grandma.
Could be weeks. Could be months.Originally Posted by ThatsMyGirlNope. This is why there are so many unwanted pregnancies. Some bitches keep themselves so clean you don't know they are in season at first. You might start wiping her with a white tissue daily.(2) Are there always signs that a heat cycle is impending?She may hold out till then. Usually girls follow their maternal side of the family.Is there anything else I should know? By the way, if it's based on genetics, then Sami may not go into heat until 14 months or later, like her mom and grandma.
♣ Laura ♣
I didn't notice any physical signs on Piper at all before hand. She's my first female dog, so maybe I didn't notice, or maybe she didn't have any ??? Checking her (wiping with a bit of toilet paper) each morning had been a part of my morning routine since she was about 9 months so that's how I caught her...although I did notice her cleaning herslf quite a bit the night before. Just pack a crate and some "panties" for her and you'll be good to go.
YIKES. I was really counting on signs. I've been "looking" every day, but will institute a kleenex policy immediately ;D Right now she is showing zero signs -- even the vet looked the other day and said "she's really still tucked up there". Here's hoping that she holds out until at least the end of July.Originally Posted by JacksAndLabs
Mocha was a little swollen at least a week before her heat but she was my first female so I wasn't watching real close until I saw some bleeding. Hopefully she'll hold out until after your trip. I would be extra careful when your at your parents and try not to let them unattended for long and watch for him being overly interested in her.
Thanks for the advice. I will be extra vigilent while we're away. I've been checking her daily for any signs & did take some Kleenex to her this morning ;D Wonder what she thought!Originally Posted by bacatherine
I never notice anything different until I see a spot of blood on the kitchen floor. A few times I was even like "Oh someone cut their pad oh no wait!" If I was planning on breeding Scout then I was more in tune and waiting but if I wasn't then I really would not know. Scout came into season for the first time at 11 months which was early for her line - her mother and grandmother were 13 and 14 months respectively. Then Wigeon waited until nearly 17 months to come in!
One helpful hint is that they will rarely come into season when they are out of coat - typically the coat blows, they grow it back, and then they go into season.
The bleeding lasts about 12 - 18 days and the average bitch is most fertile beteween days 12 - 16. Count day 1 as the first day you see blood.
REALLY? She is blowing coat like crazy right now. Honestly, I got so much off of her yesterday I was starting to worry. So that leads to this question ... how long does it take them to grow it back?Originally Posted by WigWag
My Bobbie has just finished her first season so i just wanted to add something that our vet told us when we asked about her first season as she was 10 months and she hadn't shown any signs.
The vet said that her first season could come anytime after 6months and it's really down to the bitch herself. She also said that she could start acting differently, we noticed that bobs was very moany and clingy for about a week before she started.
Also the vet said that it isn't uncommon for bitches first heat to be a "silent" heat where it's so light that you won't even notice that she is on so it was possible that Bobbie could have already had her first. As it turned out she started about two weeks after her vets visit!
Hope it all goes well!
Thanks for posting this ThatsMyGirl.
We are travelling accross the continent to the Yukon Territory for 2 weeks this July, and CoCo will be looked after by a combination of a good friend who will stay at our house and my in-laws who will take her to their house (she is very used to the people and both houses).
My worry is that CoCo will be just over 6 months when we go, and my BIL's two male dogs are intact, and are often at my in-laws house too.
We were considering having her spayed before we went, but the more I research the more I want to wait. Our breeder recommends between 8 - 12 months for their dogs. I need to ask them when CoCo's mother and grandmother went into heat. I would much rather wait to have her spayed until the fall, although not necessarily after her first heat.
My issue is that I will be dependent on others to keep an eye on her during our vacation, and to watch for the signs. Its not that I can't trust them, its just that they might not be as vigilent as I would be. This is NOT a mistake that could be rectified easily!
~Jo & CoCo