allergies...food vs. environmental

Thread: allergies...food vs. environmental

Defaultallergies...food vs. environmental

hi.* I'm new to this site.* i was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions from their past experiences.* my dog has had several ear infections.* we recently switched vets. and my new vet noted that her paws and genital region are discolored (clay colored).* she asked if Tess licks and or chews her paws frequently--she does, we always thought she was very clean!* anyway, my vet suggested that we switch her chicken and rice food to lamb and rice because she may have food allergies.* she also suggested that we clean her paws with scent free baby wipes and vinegar.* we did all that.* everything seemed to be going alright, but recently (since spring has arrived) her paws seem to look worse.* just wondering if anyone has ever needed prescription allergy meds for their dogs or if homeopathic stuff works.* i feel this is more environmental not food.* any suggestions are greatly appreciated.* thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Dani is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: allergies...food vs. environmental

Less than 5% of dogs actually have food allergies. Sounds environmental if it is happening in the spring....so you are right in that. I fostered an allergice dog and he was given a benadryl from time to time to help control the symptoms....talk to your vet about dosage.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

One of my dogs has environmental allergies. Benadryl didn't help him but I started using Solid Gold Life Extension (powder) and he seems alot better. It's typically used for older dogs but also helps with allergies.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Less than 5% have allergies to certain ingredients, but some of your big allergens like wheat affect more than 5%. Furthermore, it gets complicated when you throw in "intolerances" which is a cheap term for a variety of problems that exhibit symptoms nearly identical to allergies, yet an allergic response isn't the culprit.

Like Dani said, environmental allergies are much more common, but food allergies are easier to treat/diagnose, so they're usually the first to receive the blame. If switching foods doesn't help, and the symptoms are seasonal, there really isn't anything you can do but give antihistamines (I also agree with Dani here, talk to your vet about dosage and specific medication) to block the allergic response to whatever (pollen, mold, etc.) is causing the problem.

thanks for the suggestions, i am calling the vet today to make an appointment.