anyone ever have a young lab diagnosed wiht severe hip dysplasia
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: anyone ever have a young lab diagnosed wiht severe hip dysplasia

Defaultanyone ever have a young lab diagnosed wiht severe hip dysplasia

Hi there,
    Axl was diagnosed with severe hip dysplasia and is basically doing fine right now. He is very mellow and does sleep a lot but the vet said that could also be the way he is dealing with pain. My questions is to anyone who has to deal with this with a dog so young. Our vet said at some point he will be in so much pain we will either have to have him put down or do a total hip replacement. some people I have talked to said they wouldn't put their dog thru the total hip replacement and that it isnt always worth it. I want to do whats best for "him" not me. Any suggestions? We live in a small northern michigan town and don't have an vet/orthropedic surgeon here. My vet said the closest place is like 5 hours from here.

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

myfavoritedog is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: anyone ever have a young lab diagnosed wiht severe hip dysplasia

How old is he?

he is 9 months old

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

also, we got him from a private shelter so there is no breeder to talk to. Poor thing was only 4.5 pounds and full of diahrehaea and lice when we got him.

Labsrme is offline Senior Member

I have a friend who had a 10 month old puppy with such severe hip dysplasia that it was recommended that she be put to sleep. She took her to a vet college and had a total hip replacement done at the age of 11 months. The dog lived to be 13 years old and had a wonderful life.

If there is a vet college anywhere near you it would certainly be worth a consult. Five hours is not so far to drive if your dog gets a lifetime of relief out of it. Good luck with your pup.

there is an alternative to hip replacement, it is surgical removal of the ends of the bones that are fitting [poorly!] into the hip socket. [can't think of the medical name for it, sorry].
    our friends' dog had that done at about 13 months, because of severe HD. sher was a fierce hunt test competitor & did Lots of hunting until her passing last year at age 16. the secret was keeping her VERY fit & lean, so the bones were well-supported by muscles. [although she got pretty fat as she got much older, and remained symptom-free--cancer got her.]

Autumn was dx'd about his age. She is also a rescue, is a mixed breed and was in horrible condition..makes ya wonder huh? She's almost 3 now and getting along just fine. I keep her on supplements, keep her weight down, make sure she gets excercised and has a soft place to sleep. The cold weather bothers her but otherwise if I never saw an x-ray I would never guess she's got 2 of the worst hips our Orthopedic has ever seen. I had her on paid meds for a few months, then she just stopped needing them. There are alternatives to THR I wouldn't rush into any surgery, especially if he needs both replaced. See how he does you may learn how to manage his condition.

I've recently been reading up on HD as my pup's hips aren't great.* There is a forum at yahoo specifically on HD where people can write in and talk about anything to do with this issue.* I found it through going to http://groups.yahoo.com/group/orthodogs.* For the specifically HD forum just substitute the word orthodogs with CanineHD.* There is also a forum on "conservative management" I believe.* My pup isn't at a point where I would need to consider surgery, but who knows what's down the road.* Right now we are just ensuring appropriate exercise and supplements, and hoping surgery will never be necessary.

I believe the surgery that queenofthedogs is referring to is an FHO. ?

Anyway, good luck and maybe you can get more information from the yahoo forum.*

If you don't already have him on supplements give him Cosequin and GlycoFlexIII - you can buy both online.

Yes! FEMORAL HEAD OSTEOTOMY, I believe!--thanks, it was buggin' me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast