*Sigh* Roxy has Kennel Cough

Thread: *Sigh* Roxy has Kennel Cough

Default*Sigh* Roxy has Kennel Cough

The little girl woke me up this morning at about 5am hacking and acting like she was trying to throw something up. I took her into my work and the dr confirmed it. I'm so bummed. I'm pretty certain it's my fault. This past Sunday I went to the clinic to walk the boarding animals and did a couple of treatments. I brought Roxy with me so that we could go for a nice walk in the canyon afterwards. To my knowledge none of the animals had KC (or any other sickness for that matter; just one cat that was in isolation) but it's the only place where I can think of that she picked it up. She is current on her bordetella vac, but contracted it anyways.

Now, I understand that the Bordetella vaccine is much like the flu shot. It only protects agaisnt certain strands. Some vets recommend getting it every 6months, mine says yearly, and some owners choose to never get it at all. My vet sent me home with Hydrocodone and Zeniquin. But I think I remember on one of the old boards there was a thread about KC and some members said they only treat it with OTC drugs like Robitussin. Anyone remember that or have any info on it? I'm just curious to hear about the different ways others have treated KC in the past (especially rescue groups since they prolly see a lot of it) TIA

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Tatyana is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: *Sigh* Roxy has Kennel Cough

I don't know about Robutassin, but when Scotty had KC, the ER vet gave him a steriod, which made him thirsty. Since he was so thirsty, he had to pee three times as often. Just FYI if you got a steroid, too.

Henry caught KC despite being vaccinated against it. You're right, the KC vacc is like the flu shot... it only protects against certain strains of KC. However, compared to dogs who hadn't been vaccinated who were also exposed to KC at the same time, Henry got off pretty easy. He'd just hack a bit in the morning (in the cold air) and after exercise.

If your dog is boarded a lot, or at daycare on a regular basis, some vets will recommend every 6 months rather than yearly.

Our vets didn't give anything for KC, said it would just run its course (which it did). We didn't use Robitussin or anything OTC. Having said that, Henry had it quite mild. It can sometimes develop into a secondary infection (in the lungs?) and for that you need an antibiotic.

You'll also want to keep Roxy away from other dogs too so that they don't catch it. Henry was in "isolation" for about 2 weeks after his symptoms disappeared. Hope this helps!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

I believe one of the meds we were given is a steroid, but I haven't noticed Roxy being more thirsty than usual, but thanks for the heads up Tatyana!

Thanks Felicia for the info too. Roxy doesn't have a real severe case of it, but does have some inflimmation in her upper respritory (I pretty sure that's what the vet said) so I guess it's not real mild either.

aww roxy girl, your in my thoughts