Mange treatments....looking better

Thread: Mange treatments....looking better

dragona is offline Member

DefaultMange treatments....looking better

Ok, call me paranoid but.....
    All the research I have done on demodex treatments state quite clearly that amitraz should not be used in conjunction with the Ivomec BUT my vet has given one shot, told me to go back for another and also given me Taktic spray to be used once a week.Taktic contains amitraz
    http://www.intervet.co.in/products/t...sp?printable=1

and it also mentions not to use on dogs. I am not going to use the spray, I have been giving homoeopathic sulphur and rubbing Neem oil on the bare bits* instead. Would your vets word be gospel,?

I am just thinking, why all of a sudden this mange. He had his annual booster then a week later his rabies shot. Ten days after that a surgery. This was about 10 /12 weeks ago.Would stress really have something to do with it, or should I be worried that he has some sort of underlying problem.As you can probably tell, I am concerned

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Ender's Mom is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Mange treatments....

Would your vets word be gospel?
    I'm in the "no" category. While I may grow to trust my vet a great deal... I am suspicious, especially in the begining and need to backup everything they say with my own research. Our first vet was allways trying to sell us a prescription diet and we ended up dumping her and going with a vet that was recommended by my friend. Even though I like this new vet... I take everything with a grain of salt and it will be awhile before I would trust her completely.

For me, a vet sees how many different kinds of animals?... not to mention there are definite differences healthwise between breeds of dogs/cats etc.? How can they really know everything, especially things that are breed specific unless they specialize?
    ~Lindsay

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

It depends on how bad it is. *In Cissy's case, my vet said use the Ivomec for 30-60 days but said it really isn't that bad so don't rush to go get it. *I saw her a few weeks later and told her we had dumped the Ivomec and were just going at it from a holistic standpoint with supplements and she thought that sounded fine. *If you dog has spots all over, that could be the reason for the shot vs. the oral. *Also, the Ivomec is taking over for their own immune system, so when you stop the treatments, their immune system has to work to get back up to par. *Not sure if any of this is *making any sense. *PM me your email address and I will send you what I have on demodex. *That's another thing, is the mange demodex or sarcoptic? *Makes a difference as sarcoptic is contagious but easier to treat and usually does not reoccur. *Demodex can reoccur under stressful situations.
    We have had adult rescues go the route of the injections and some of the puppies go the route of the oral treatment. *One was a holistic vet. *The one that did the injections also did the mitaban dips, however, they administered them themselves. *
    You did good finding the Neem Oil info!!

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Yep, it's demodex.I am of course worried sick now that he has some sort of dreadful, immuno-suppressing illness that has not yet been discovered
    He has a bit of hairloss around the eyes, and some bare bits on his elbows - I would not say it was all over.
    Neem oil is fantastic stuff -stinks but is great for pimples, nails etc. Always have a bottle of it! Will pm you, thanks!

He'll be fine; didn't you say he had surgery not too long ago? That could easily do it; Cissy's popped out right after her spay and her boarding in the vets office. It's just stress causing their immune system to go whacko. Just like us ... except I think Cissy has a easy life compared to mine!

DefaultRe: Mange treatments....looking better

Well I am nothing short of astounded. It has been 5 days since the first Ivomec shot. I have not used the Taktic spray, just been rubbing Neem oil into the bare bits and giving sulphur.All the dry flaky skin has gone, the bare bits do not look so bare.

DefaultRe: Mange treatments....looking better

Wonderful news!!

I emailed you the info. Let me know if you did not get it!