Sugar=yeast infection?????

Thread: Sugar=yeast infection?????

DefaultSugar=yeast infection?????

Background to story.

My dog was on an elimination diet for allergies. She was on venison and potatoes and was doing fine. I added carrots and that was not problem. I added green beans and that was no problem. Due to their high nutrient value and my vets concern over Lya (my dog) getting a balanced diet, I next tried sweet potatoes. Lya started itching one ear a bit. This is a dog with a history of continuous ear/yeast infections. At the end of Sweet potato week, one ear has developed a mild smell and she itched the other one just this morning. I cut off the sweet potatoes.

I looked it up, 100 grams of sweet potatoes has 8.44 grams of sugar. 100 grams of normal potatoes has .87 grams of sugar.

If yeast infections love sugar, and higher sugar is a contributing factor, what might this mean?

My first thought is that if her body chemistry balance is so off that sweet potatoes send it over the edge, then she is one messed up puppy/dog. My second question to self is...what are the symptoms of diabetes in dogs?

Last, I have read and heard that vaccines can really mess up a dogs immune system. Has anyone seen or heard this to be true?

I think my friend is really in trouble if this is a contributing factor.

Morgan
    Michigan

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

ThatsMyGirl Guest

DefaultRe: Sugar=yeast infection?????

Have you seen a nutritionist (do they even have those for dogs?)

Have you determined if rice is a problem food? Just curious.

W/ regards to your diabetes question, I believe the symptoms are similiar to humans in that they drink more, have excessive urination, and have sugar in their urine when tested.

We have not consulted a nutritionist yet, but we have the vet text book one wrote and see nothing on the topic of sugars.

This is really hard. Never breed your dog if they show signs of allergies!!!! :P

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the URLs. I think just now my biggest fear is the yeast. :-\ and what those implications are.

i have no idea why someone would think a dog Needs something like sweet potatoes [or even carrots or green beans] in their diet, except as a filler for weight control help.
    dogs are Carnivores, their sysytems are adapted perfectly to manufacture Everything they need from protein & fat. fat is their major energy source, not carbs. i guarantee you, you could put a starving dog in a field of sweet potatoes, and he would think long & hard about eating one! in fact, he might starve to death.
    in the wild, except for the occasional berry, the only carbs [grains, vegies] a dog would ever eat would be PRE-DIGESTED ones from the entrails of kills.

everydog is offline Senior Member

Carrots actually have a sugar content higher than sweet potatoes.

It's not that common that dogs have food allergies. Has yours been tested? Vaccines can totally do a number on the immune system. Laura had some good links regarding vaccine protocol. I would try a no grain food like Innova Evo and do not do supplements or treats of any kind and see what happens. It does take some time for the new food to work itself into the system and the old food to work out.

my parents' lab was recently diagnosed with diabetes. her symptoms were frequent drinking, frequent urination, and lethargy. another sign is weight loss.

Yep! Lya is being fed carrots and green beans for the fiber and to help her keep weight down. She can gain weight overnight!

Dogs are omnivores.

Morgan with Lya