Help not really eating

Thread: Help not really eating

tiffanym is offline Junior Member

DefaultHelp not really eating

Hey everybody,

I finally switched Caesar over to Canidae from Proplan about a week and a half ago. He really seemed to like it. Just yesterday, he refused to eat his morning 2 cups. He finally ate them at 6 o clock at night.

He used to eat 4 cups a day. Now im lucky if he eats 2-3 and he always leave it for hours before he eats it.

My neighbor says her rottie is doing the same thing (also on Canidae) Could it be heat related???? We live in FL

I also have been giving him the occasiuonal marrow bone. Could they be making him sick?

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Help not really eating

Why did you switch him to Canidae? If he's not eating it; don't force it ... I'm saying this because your neighbor is seeing the same problem and maybe something could be wrong with the food....maybe not. Is he having runny stools or vomitting? If so, I'd see the vet.

I switched him to Canidae b/c he was having some problems with his ears and he had eye boogers. I was told that the Proplan had too much wheat and corn in it.

He loved the Canidae at first. It had just been the last 2 days that he is being finicky

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_zoezoe is offline Senior Member

I use the ProPlan Sensitive Skin and Stomach; no wheat or corn.* You might look at that.* Otherwise, try adding a small amout of water to his food; put it down for 10 minutes, pick it up if it's not eaten; then offer it again at dinnertime; same routine.*
    But really, if he's usually a really good eater and now not eating; especially if you notice him being lethargic, runny poos, etc., you should call or see the vet.

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

How old is Caesar?*

My Puff wnt from a total of about a cup a day as a very young pup up to 5 cups a day when she was about 10 months old. And then that declined in the # of cups of food she'd eat, down to her present 2½ cups/day.* Sometimes she wouldn't ewat for a day or so which told me to reduce the amount of food again.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

labby is offline Senior Member

Personally I wouldn't feed Canidae if it were given to me free. My poor dogs totally fell apart on that food. While most dogs can have a problem with wheat, corn isn't the menace most make it out to be. Maybe you can try the ProPlan that Sandy suggested (fish based) or maybe the new ProPlan Selects which are turkey based. Eagle Pack make good foods too.

Laura

Hi everybody,

Thanks for all the responses. As it turns out, I was giving Caesar too much. He used to eat 4 cups of Proplan. It seems that 3 cups of Canidae is perfect. He likes it.
    Labby, what do you mean fell apart on the Canidae?

Let's see......bad ears, licking feet and butt, hair falling out in clumps, bald spots, hot spots.

Laura

wow, how long this take after u started them?

3rd bag

Laura