This doesn't seem right to me. You?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This doesn't seem right to me. You?

Paddysmom is offline Senior Member

DefaultThis doesn't seem right to me. You?

Scamp is my Lhasa, a stray we took in last November. Not knowing what his vac record was I was going to wait until close to a year to get them. I sure wouldn't want to be vaccinating a dog who had just recently had them.

So I took him in for grooming today. First time. Groomer won't groom until he has his vacs. I say, okay, give him his rabies vac. No, he has to have the full suite before vet will turn him over to the groomer. Okay fine. (I'm a bit miffed about this.) Go ahead and give him the vacs then pass him on to the groomer.

Now, if he gets these vacs and groomer is grooming the same day, within hours of the vacs, would the vacs even BEGIN to be working? I mean, how much more "protected" is either the dog or the groomer whether Scamp is vaccinated or not? How fast does Bordatella kick in? Rabies? The combination vac?

*scratching my head over this one...*

Seamus and Flynn

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

DefaultRe: This doesn't seem right to me. You?

Yeh, Nance; I agree it's a crock of poopie! Had a receptionist who didn't know us try to get Sundance to have his shots before he got groomed. It was supposed to be on his charts that he was old and don't give shots. SU called home and I about went off the deep end with her. Luckily, he had been a long time patient there and the vet okayed everything.

labby is offline Senior Member

It can take 2 weeks for the vaccines to start "working".

Laura

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Well that's what I thought. Sandy, Laura, I hate the way the vet office can "hold you hostage" in that way. Either one of you familiar with the California based VCA clinics? My vet's clinic has been run by VCA for about a year and a half now. If the clinic founder were still there Scamp would have been groomed without vacs, with an appointment scheduled appropriately.

Well, it's done now. I just deplore that particular tactic.

Seamus and Flynn

labby is offline Senior Member

I don't like it either Nance. One of my puppy people were held up for a spay that way. They called me in tears because they didn't have their shot records with them and the receptionist told them they wouldn't spay the dog without giving the dog a vaccine. I told her to hand her cell to the receptionist and I ripped her a new one. Any idiot who would give a vaccine when the dog is going to be spayed should be slapped and I told her that. She handed the phone back to my puppy buyer and I told her to walk out and tell them to kiss her butt. She did and we found her another vet who understood a dog's immune system and how not to over-tax it.

Laura

Poor puppy mommie. I think all of us need to get a little more starch in our spines when it comes to standing up the the rules these clinics dictate to us. Being armed with factual knowledge is the best recourse, methinks.

Thanks, both, for replying.

Seamus and Flynn

Buddysmom is offline Senior Member

This is crazy. I could see giving the shots and telling you to reschedule. But, this is just wanting to make money.

Eiderdowns That's My Buddy
    CDX, RE, WC, CGC, TDInc.
    Monnie

I know the bordetella vaccine they say to get it 3-4 days before boarding your dog because it takes that long to kick in but I'm not positive about the others.

Katy Guest

Our vet/boarder has the same policy. Your pet needs to be vaccinated before boarding, but if he's not, they can vaccinate while he's there. They admitted the vaccine wouldn't be "as effective" as if he was vaccinated weeks earlier though.

Katy - do you consider being at the groomer's for a couple of hours to be boarding?

Seamus and Flynn

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast