Hill Perscription w/d Food -anyone on this

Thread: Hill Perscription w/d Food -anyone on this

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

DefaultHill Perscription w/d Food -anyone on this

The vet put Princess on Hill's Perscription w/d Food. Princess was having an ongoing bout with colitis. Does anyone else feed this food. If so, how much. She was on the can until today. I started her on the dry and the vet did not tell me how much. Can anyone tell me anything about this food??
    [IMG]/[/IMG]

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

imported_Top Of The Hill is offline Senior Member

DefaultRe: Hill Perscription w/d Food -anyone on this

I've never had a Lab on this diet, but I did have a small dog on the canned product some years ago.* She had major digestive problems all her life, but we were for the most part able to keep them under control.* In her case I was able to supplement the canned W/D with a little diced chicken breast etc. (she couldn't tolerate anything with fat)* She only weighed 10 pounds so she didn't eat alot.* The W/D (in the can) looked and smelled pretty bland, and she wouldn't eat it unless I added something to it.* Being as this was a number of years ago the product might not be the same now, and of course the kibble would be different.

Sorry not much help, but I saw that you had had no responses from people who have used either the canned (or the kibble) recently, so thought I would reply.*

imported_queenofthedogs is offline Senior Member

as top quantity: most labels have ''suggested feeding amounts'', which IMO are about 20-30% too high for the activity levels of most pets. so you might want to start there & observe how hungry your dog acts, if there's any weight changes.
    most of us feel Hill's is not a very high-quality food, it has a lot of grains, lowish protein/fat, and pretty high price to boot.
    dogs are carnivores, their systems are designed to thrive on lots of protein, fat is their major energy source. the very few grains, vegies, etc. they would get in the wild would be from eating the [pre-digested!] contents of entrails, plus maybe a few berries.
    vets push Hills because they get $$ from selling it, IMO. IMO give it 4-6 weeks, tops, if there isn't a major improvement of symptoms, or dog's coat is looking poor, the dog seems to have less 'zip', there are plenty of others to to try.

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

Pam
    Pam is offline Senior Member

Buddy ate SD WD and/or RD for several years. He had the worst coat and he would scratch himself until he actually bled. After I got educated in this forum, I realized there was more corn and chemicals in those foods than anything else. QOTD was correct - vets sell it so they make money on it. I was stupid and thought if my vet sold it to me, it meant it was good. I was an idiot and I still kick myself when I think about it.

mattgusmum is offline Senior Member

I haven't had a dog on Hills W/D but just wanted to make a comment on the last couple of posts.

Gus has been on Hills R/D for about three months now and he has never looked better...........really good, shiny coat and losing weight.

The whole point of the W/D food is that it is LOW in fat and HIGH in fibre.

These are "prescription" foods for specific medical/dietry needs not regular maintenance diets.

Won't someone please feed me!

Dakkerdog is offline Senior Member

Something to consider if you don't want to stay on the Hills w/d as a maintenance diet. Sky was also diagnosed with colitus issues so I switched her to Pro Plan SS&S because it has 4% fiber and I also supplement with 2T of pumpin in the am and green beans in the pm. This so far has worked great and it is also the food I feed Moose because of his airborne allergies.

My cat used to be on a Hills prescription diet because he had formed crystals in his urine and it caused a blockage. I finally took him off and supplement with other foods I can buy other than the vet.

I found having to go to the vet to buy foods a real pain and expensive.
    Sharon, loved by Moose & Sky

Lilprincee is offline Senior Member

Thanks for the comments. I don't want her to stay on this food forever, however I did purchase the large 30 lb. bag. When time to buy more kibble, I guess I will decide which way to go. I may try the pro plan sss.....however we did previously try this and I could not tell any difference in her scratching/ licking - she has food alergies. Since we have been on this diet her colitis seems to have cleared up.......however her stools seem too hard. I've started adding pumpkin to her food hoping this will help. Also, she seems to be starving to death, even though I'm feeding her enough and adding pumpkin. She has always eaten her food fast but I've never seen her eat it like this. She eats so fast her sides sink in - she doesn't come up to breath. I hate this and it scares the beejees outta me. I added water to her food last night and this am but she still inhales the food.
    [IMG]/[/IMG]