Switching puppy food to adult?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Switching puppy food to adult?

baby_bosco is offline Senior Member

DefaultSwitching puppy food to adult?

Just wondering when is a good age to switch puppy food to adult food?* :-\
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

2. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

robeec is offline Member

DefaultRe: Switching puppy food to adult?

i switched tina at 6mos old. she was born 8/5/05. at 9mos she's still eating twice daily. the vet told me labs only need large breed food for 6mos, and after 6mos cut down to two meals. when she hits one, i'll feed her biscuits in the morning and one meal in the evening. i'm not letting her get fat!

henrysmom is offline Senior Member

I switched Henry around 8-9 months. He was getting really chubb-a-lubby on his puppy food and so his vets and I decided that it would be a good time to switch to a lower fat adult food.

However, he still eats two meals a day.

To me this is a good idea, especially in a breed prone to bloat... one meal would tend to be a larger one, and would prolly increase the risk of bloat I would think.

Just because an adult lab eats twice daily doesn't necessarily mean it will get fat. You merely take its daily amount and divide it in half for two meals. I know Henry would be just plain miserable having one larger meal per day vs. two smaller ones! I think most of us here feed our adult labs twice daily.

Feeding just enough to maintain an optimum weight and body condition, plenty of exercise and good healthy snacks will prevent your lab from getting fat.

Gorsebrook Jackson Triggs, CD, RN, WC, CGN<br />Kelrobin A Twist of Fate<br /><br />

5. Remove Advertisements
    JustLabradors.com
    Advertisements

So if I noticed Bosco getting a little chubbier, it's a hint! Right now he's on Large Breed Puppy Food, and he gets fed 3 times a day. I think I'll switch to adult food at around 8-9 months too. That's what I thought, I just wanted to double check!!! Bosco would be miserable too if he only got fed one large meal a day...lol and looks foward to his food time...lol!!!

Thanks!!!

New pic of Bosco (6 months old)
    <br />He is your friend, your partner,your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours,&quot;faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.&quot; -Unknown

Bob Pr. is offline Senior Member

Alll canine nutrinonal studies published in scientific journals/CollVetMed websites, etc.,* *(that I'm aware of) say to switch from Large Beed Puppy food to adult food when the Large Breed puppy is full grown.*For most Labs, that would be between 12 and 18 months.* Before that, continue with the LBP formula.

I've never seen any research reports/scientific studies that recommend switching before that.

But if anyone knows of any by a DVM or nutritional canine scientiest advocating an earlier switch to adult food, please give me the reference. *I have about 10-20 all advocating the position I stated.
    Puff [YF, AKC field line (from competing HT/FT breeder) 62 lbs, dob: 8-'01]

Bess [BF, AKC bench line (from competing show breeder) 55 lbs., 1967-1981] "Poor Bess, the Wonder Dog":
    http://forum.justlabradors.com/showt...?p=748#post748

So it may be a better idea if I wait until his fully grown (12-18months). (How do you know when your lab is fully grown?) I guess I should stick with the large breed puppy food for a while? If I notice he's getting a little chubby, I should reduce his meals to 2 times a day then?

pluto is offline Senior Member

A good LB puppy food wont make yur dog grow too fast..However if he is getting fat just reduce the ammount you feed him

Dani is offline Senior Member

No. 6 months. thrice a day feedings should stop aroun 4 months.

Bob, I am surprised that you would advocate puppy food until 12-18 especially when you don't advocate LBP food.
    Dani, Rider & Rookie
    SHR Watson's Safari Rider, JH, WC, CL1-R, RA, CGC, TDI
    SHR Endeavor Put Me In Coach, RN, WC, CGC

Member Since 6/2003

Djc1249 is offline Senior Member

Our breeder guidelines were 3x day feeding 'til 5-6 mos. old, then 2x day. At 8-9 mos., our vet said get him off puppy food and onto adult....too much weight gain from the richer puppy food.
    <br />Did you say TREAT ?!?<br /><br />Tucker, 3 yrs. --- Tipper, 10 mos.<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/284460<br />http://www.dogster.com/dogs/715680

pluto is offline Senior Member

pluto stopped from 3 meals a day at 3 months cuz he basically lost interest in the mid day meal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast